Monday, October 01, 2012

My 30s Is Like Developing A Baseball Player

I blogged I missed my moment I must grow up in 2002 on Jul 1, 2012. (Link: I Could Have Been An Adult In 2002) The blog inspired me to write another blog on my life. This blog is life in my 30s as if I'm a baseball player drafted to a team and starting my career in the minors. The following summarizes my highlights and lowlights by year:

2004: A Ball

Life at 30 years old started on a high note. I wore my first costume at an anime convention in Sept. I went on a mini Las Vegas vacation in Dec. I marathon Rurouni Kenshin anime series on New Year's Eve. I sold my junk on eBay. And I started buzz cutting my hair. I established a foundation for my baseball career.

2005: AA Ball

I had one of my best years working at Colliers International. I attended four anime conventions that were good. It was the first year I started meeting new people and making new friends at Fanime Con, Anime Expo, and Japan Town Anime Faire. I purchased my first laptop. I created my first blog. I visited my friend in Washington including visiting Canada, my first time in a foreign country. In Nov, I visited Oregon for the first time. I was going with the flow that was going my way. It was a good year and I was promoted to AAA next year.

2006: AAA Ball

The momentum continued. There was no stopping my good life. I attended six anime conventions. My circle of friends expanded. I enrolled in a business class at De Anza. My dad and I attended a financial expo seeing Robert Kiyosaki and Tony Robbins. Colliers International paid for my Crystal Reports XI training. My brother and his wife purchased a house. My cousin opened his Japanese restaurant. New experiences and new adventures continued in the summer and fall.

2007: Made It To The Majors

The late '04-'06 years paid off. All of my knowledge, friends, and experiences accumulated to the best of my life. I was at the top. Life couldn't get any better. I made it to the majors. Nothing bad could happen. I started wearing braces in Jan. It was time for a new smile. I found a job at Cisco in Mar. I went to Vancouver in Canada on my second week at Cisco. I purchased my first car in May.

My life went downhill thereafter because I experienced frustrations, committed too many mistakes, and stressed out. I thought I was prepared for my new life in the majors. I was wrong. My summer was terrible. There were some bright spots as if I had multi-home runs days to bring optimism for the fans: attended my first Renaissance Faire, found a better commute route, learned how to play Liar's Dice, played Team Fortress 2, and watched The Nutcracker ballet. The optimism faded as I was sent back to the minors.

2008: Back To AAA

I started '08 on a positive note hoping '07 was a fluke. I wanted to get back to the majors I did anything for a good and happy life. I started by attending a small Japanese anime convention on Jan. The rest of the first half was boring. No excitement. The bright spot was Fanime Con in May. I didn't attend Anime Expo, the first time I didn't attend since '99. I didn't lose hope.

The second half started good. I purchased a new laptop. A major slump took over my life in late Aug and Sep. I experienced an identity crisis. I was lost. I realized I was a wimp. I did nothing for a good and happy life. I took life for granted. As a ballplayer, I took my career for granted. I didn't need extra batting practice. Life was so bad it was like I was going to be demoted to AA ball.

I must go through hell to get to heaven. On Sat Oct 4, '08, I realized I must grow up. It was time to get strong and stay strong. It was time I meant to innovate my life infinitely. No more talk. It was time for action. The changes were immediate: new clothes, new PC, read fiction books, new wrist watch, new gym workout plan, second blog, new mattress, the Washington-Canada '08 trip, Nor Cal Winter Cosplay gathering, and much more. Thanksgiving and Christmas with the family brought back the family traditional movies. The only bad moment was I lost my job. To be honest, losing my job was a blessing in disguise. It was time for a life time out.

I stopped taking life for granted. I took extra batting practice. I sought help and established my support. My life was going up for the first time since early '07 the majors called me up for the Sep call ups.

2009: I'm A Starter I'm Here To Stay In The Majors

New interests and experiences started on day 1: New Year's Day in San Francisco, ballroom dancing, classical jazz, hiking, Facebook, Yelp, shaving with a razor, Nor Cal Spring Cosplay gathering, and more fiction books. I started taking Accutane to treat my acne. I attended De Anza College taking a ballroom dance class and strength development class in the Spring Quarter.

Fanime Con '09 was and is my all-time favorite con today. Anime Expo '09, a last minute choice to attend, was also good. The summer continued with new interests and experiences including playing Beatles Rock Band, visiting the Charles M. Schulz museum, opening myself to new foods & drinks, playing new board games, watching lots of movies, listening to jazz at the San Jose & Monterey Jazz Festivals, and me time in San Francisco. My braces were removed.

I enrolled in accounting classes at De Anza in the Fall Quarter. I accepted a challenge to learn Mahjong in 10 days. If I found a job, then I earned the Comeback Player Of The Year award. Finding a job was hard because of the real estate bubble.

2010: Another Good Year

I continued taking accounting classes at De Anza. Fanime Con and Anime Expo were great. I started my Vocaloid CD collection. I hiked at Point Lobos and Pinnacles National Monument for the first time. I ate at many new restaurants. I played many new board games. I saw Paul McCartney at AT&T Park. I started to watch classic movies including Midnight Cowboy, The French Connection, and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. I installed Windows 7 in my PC. I took an ice skating class. The San Francisco Giants won the World Series. I continued to make new friends. And Alien Cat and I went on our first two dates in Dec. I was confident in my ball playing performance my manager included me in the starting lineup.

2011: Establishing Myself

I established myself here in the majors earning respect among my teammates and the opposition. I continued to get stronger, get better, get smarter, and innovate my life. Alien Cat and I dated visiting new places and experiencing new experiences. Some of the activities included visiting the Gilroy Garlic Festival, walking around arts & crafts fairs, watching a movie outdoors, walking the Golden Gate Bridge, playing board games, visiting Berkeley, hiking at new trails, and shopping at Union Square in San Francisco and the Outlet Mall in Gilroy.

I graduated De Anza in Mar; however, my last class was in Jun. I purchased my first smart phone in Jul. I watched my first live hockey game. I found new adventures and experienced new experiences the entire year. It was another good year with better baseball statistics than last year.

2012: Soon To Be An All Star

My job search never ends. I rewrote my cover letter and completed minor resume updates. I received calls; unfortunately, no leads. I was interviewed four times. I'm ready to take training classes in skills required for some analyst positions. I learned My SQL and Visio 2007. I reviewed Crystal Reports, Access 2007, and PowerPoint 2007.

Outside the job search, Fanime Con was the only anime convention I attended this year It was much better than '11. I watched The Avengers, Traffic for the second time, Rango, Iron Man, The Hurt Locker, The Dark Knight Rises, and Bambi movies. I read The Hunger Games trilogy. I finished my first smart phone game app Quell. I tweeted #1,000. My girlfriend and I went on an urban hike in San Francisco, watched the fireworks on New Year's Day in San Francisco, shopped at many of our favorite stores, played board games, visited Hoover Tower in Stanford University, and attended Cinequest for the first time.

I always meet new people, earn support, and gain knowledge. I always get up and do something, anything. I always find new adventures and experience new experiences. I'm an example life in the 30s can be better than the 20s; however, I missed so much I should have done in my 20s I'm catching up. I'm finding who I am every day. I'm going to be an all-star.

No comments: