Sunday, November 04, 2012

One Game At A Time For The San Francisco Giants, One Day At A Time For Me

Congratulations to the San Francisco Giants for winning the 2012 World Series. The Giants won two World Series Championships in the last three years, and their second in San Francisco franchise history. The 2012 theme was never quit, don't give up, believe in themselves, play for the name on the front of their jerseys and not the back, and determination. In comparison, the 2010 championship team was a band of misfits and castoffs who got together and clicked instantly--an excellent example of team chemistry.

Outfielder Hunter Pence said a pre-game speech on the first of six elimination games the Giants won to reach the World Series, "Look into each other's eyes. I want one more day with you. We must not give in. We owe it to each other. Play for each other." The "one more day with you" was what I took from the championship season. Some of the broadcasters from the Giants flagship radio station KNBR 680 AM said the Giants took their six elimination games one game at a time. Focus on one game at a time. Here's a recap on the six elimination games the Giants won:

*Game 3 National League Division Series (NLDS) vs. Cincinnati Reds. Pence started his pregame speeches and team huddling that continued for the rest of the Giants' postseason. The Giants won in 10 innings 2-1 when eight-time Gold Glove third baseman Scott Rolen committed an error from Joaquin Arias' grounder.

*Game 4 NLDS vs. Reds. Angel Pagan, Gregor Blacno, and Pablo Sandoval hit home runs in the 8-3 win. Tim Lincecum earned the win in relief.

*Game 5 NLDS vs. Reds. Buster Posey hit a grand slam. Matt Cain was strong enough to defeat Giants nemeses Mat Latos in the 6-4 win. The Giants were the first time to win three elimination road games.

*Game 5 National League Championship Series (NLCS) vs. St. Louis Cardinals. Barry Zito pitched 7 2/3 shutout innings in the 5-0 win for his first postseason win since 2006.

*Game 6 NLCS vs. Cardinals. Ryan Vogelsong struck out a career high nine batters as the Giants won 6-1 back at AT&T Park.

*Game 7 NLCS vs. Cardinals. Pence's broken bat that struck the ball three times double started the 9-0 decisive clinching "The San Francisco Giants are going to the World Series" win. The NLCS MVP Marco Scutaro's TV shot of the rain pouring down was memorable.

I believe that's how we should live our lives: one day at a time. We live in the information age we are stimulated with information every minute. Slow down a little and take each day of life one at a time. I'm unemployed and I'm job searching. I still have a life. I send resumes and cover letters to job openings. I read books for leisure and to keep my job skills fresh. I write blogs. I workout at the gym. I spend time with my friends. I listen to music. I cook. I pay my cell phone. I do laundry. I wash dishes. I write blogs. I shop for groceries. I'm always looking to meet new people. I find new adventures and new experiences to experience. My life continues to the next day, and the next day is lived one day at a time.

2012 San Francisco Giants Notes:

*The team ERA was 1.46. The last time a winning team had a ERA under 1.50 was the 1966 Baltimore Orioles.

*The Giants were the first team to win six elimination games in a row to reach the World Series in Major League Baseball history.

*Adversity in the regular season: Sandoval was on the disabled list twice for a strained hamstring and broken hamate bone, Brian Wilson needed Tommy John surgery; Melky Cabrera suspended 50 games for performance enhancing drugs; Los Angeles Dodgers' multiple blockbuster trades bringing in superstars.

*The last National League team to win a World Series via sweep was the 1990 Cincinnati Reds defeating the Oakland Athletics.

No comments: