Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Top Ten Late Bloomer Moments

It's never too late to (fill in the blank). Live the present. Life is too short. The Most Interesting Man In The World commented on life: It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

I'm a late bloomer. Since Dec. 2010, I did the following for the first time in San Francisco: rode a cable car, walked on the Golden Gate Bridge, visited Crissy Field, ate a sundae at Ghirardelli Square, shopped at Union Square, visited Coit Tower on Telegraph Hill, urban hiked on The Embarcadero, and hiked at Angel Island. I should have done most of those during my teens and 20s. The sundae, however, I should have done when I was a child.

I went back to college to earn an AA degree in Accounting. Going back to school gave me an opportunity to correct my mistakes I did while an undergraduate at San Jose State. It was a redo, to experience the experiences, to create college moments I failed in my 20s at a school environment. My biggest mistake I corrected was meeting new people and making new friends. I used social networking to keep in touch with my friends. I met my girlfriend in the social ballroom dance class, number 2 in my top ten.

I continue to catch up what I missed in my 20s. There are more memories to create. I want to have more "I did this", "been there, done that", "did it before", "met that person", etc. Here are my top ten late bloomer moments:

10. My Gaming PC (2008). I wanted my own PC with the latest, greatest, long lasting hardware I could afford. My dad provided the family PC with decent hardware. He could have done better. My first built PC is shared with the family. Thank you appu, gmontem, and my dad for their assistance.

9. Cosplaying At Anime Conventions (2004). I started attending anime conventions in 1997. It took me seven years to wear a costume (cosplaying) for the first time. Thank you mom for making the costumes. I have worn my costumes to Halloween events and gatherings outside the convention.

8. My First Retail Job (1996). I didn't work in a retail job in high school. Bad mistake. I believe everyone should have the experience working at a retail job. You learn a lot about life and people not taught in the classrooms. Blockbuster Video was the retail business I worked. I have stories.

7. My First Video Game Played Online (2007). I'm a casual video gamer who started playing video games with the Atari 2600. It took me years to play a video game with other players online for the first time. I was introduced to Team Fortress 2 (TF2) from the guys. I remember having Monday Night TF2 when the game was the most popular game played. I managed to get a couple of hours of sleep on work nights sometimes.

6. My New Face (2007 & 2009-2010). I wore braces from 2007-2009, well beyond my high school and college years. I took Accutane to treat my acne from 2009-2010, well beyond my high school and college years. I have a better smile and acne rarely appears on my face like once in a blue moon.

5. Reading Fiction Books (2008). I started reading books in 2002. I read business, self-help, leadership, and investment books. I had no interest in fiction books. I read my first fiction book since Les Miserables in 1995. I learn more about life reading fiction books than non-fiction books, especially almost all those self-help books.

4. Meeting New People (2006). I had a few friends before 2006. I started meeting new people and opening myself up. Today, I know more people and I have the most friends ever in my life.

3. My Own Car (2007). I purchased my own car from a neighbor couple who moved to the Eastern United States to be closer with their family. I take care of my car the best I can with good parts, quality oil, and Chevron gas. There have been many adventures. There are more coming soon.

2. Dating (2010). I met my girlfriend in a social ballroom dance class at a junior college. I never dated in college and afterwards up to the end of 2010.

1. Grow Up (2008). I was in Los Altos, CA. I spent the day playing board games with a friend. He had to leave early. I walked across the street from the library to the downtown. There was an arts festival. I walked around browsing the booths. I ate a teriyaki chicken rick bowl for lunch. It seemed I was the only person alone. I didn't have a girl with me. I didn't have a family. I didn't have a group of friends with me.

I walked back to the library parking lot. I crossed the street. I said to myself on the sidewalk, "Oh, my god. I have to grow up." Life has been the best for me since 2008.

Honorable Mention: Visited Canada in 2005, ate sushi in 2008, hiked in 2009, ice skated in 2010, snuck in food in a movie theater in 2009, and online chatted in 2007.

No comments: