Friday, March 08, 2013

A Job Opening Tells More Than Apply Here

I'm currently looking for a job. I search and apply for job openings weekdays. I learn the job skills, the job knowledge, and the job requirements employers are looking to fill their open position. There is information every worker should know in today's information age and continuous changing job environment.

If I don't know the job skills and knowledge, then I find training classes. For example, some business analyst positions require Oracle and Salesforce. I'm viewing tutorials from Salesforce's website and watching YouTube videos. Oracle is on my list to learn soon. I found online classes on Oracle. In the meantime, I'm refreshing my basic software skills in Excel, PowerPoint, and Crystal Reports.

A College Assignment Out Of The Textbook

I suggest college students do a job search related to their majors starting in their junior year. The job search should include part-time and internship positions. The important reason is students learn the job opportunities, the job skills, and the job requirements related to their college major employers and the workforce are looking for. Students know what employers are looking for regarding hiring recent college graduates. They can enroll in classes best suited for their initial career goals. The information from job openings is not taught in classrooms.

Veteran workers should also do a job search to keep informed on the latest and greatest job trends. The job search should give the worker an idea what new job skills and job knowledge he or she must learn to increase the chances of a promotion in good times and staying employed in bad times. I suggest doing a job search every two or three months.

Never take a job for granted. Never stop learning. Never stop innovating.

No comments: