Sunday, September 14, 2014

Top Ten Unexpected Never Saw It Coming Moments

I quit my latest job after working at the company for two days. What happened? I can't disclose because I signed a Non-Disclosure Agreement. I knew the job wasn't permanent. I didn't expect to quit after two work shifts.

The two day job quitting inspired me to blog my latest top ten. Unexpected moments and events happen to everyone daily. Sometimes these are favorable and sometimes these are unfavorable. Everyone hopes anything out of the ordinary happens result in good fortunes. Timing and luck are factors. We can't avoid the bad fortunes. We hope to experience more unexpected favorables than unfavorables. The quitting job event above was unfavorable.

Here are the top ten unexpected never saw it coming moments:

10. I Became An Anime Fan (1996). I woke up listening to the ending song from Sailor Moon. My sister watched the English anime dub. I became a Japanese anime or Japanese cartoon fan when I started watching Sailor Moon. I watched a variety of anime series when I rented anime at Blockbuster Video. I was an employee. Rentals were free. I attended my first anime convention in 1997.

9. Switched Majors (1995). I started my college education majoring in mathematics at San Jose State University. I switched majors three years later from mathematics to economics. My dream of teaching high school math was over. The switch was a good choice looking back. I believe I stopped being a teacher in today's public education environment.

8. Going Back To College (2009). I went back to college attending De Anza College taking ballroom dancing classes and earning an AA degree in Accounting. I never expected going back to school after being laid off during the Great Recession. There were too few job openings I might as well do something productive with my free time. Accounting was another option to major after quitting majoring in mathematics.

7. Mahjong (Riichi) (2009). A friend challenged me and another friend to learn how to play Mahjong (Riichi) in ten days. The challenge was accomplished. Mahjong is one of my favorite games to play today.

I quit Mahjong in 2007 after self learning. It was too hard. I lost interest. I'm happy I was given another chance to play again.

6. Quit Or Retire Top Hobbies (Various Years). There were top hobbies I quit or retired. The ending results were a better life. I never thought about quitting because I experience happy times. The hobbies I quit were collecting baseball cards after high school and playing role playing games in 2001. The hobby I retire was Japanese Anime in 2014.

5. Hired At Grubb & Ellis (1998). My first job after graduating high school was at the commercial real estate company Grubb & Ellis. I never knew my first career was in commercial real estate. I never expected to work in commercial real estate for 8.5 years. Everyone in the research department was looking for any employment after college.

4. Wearing Costumes At Anime Conventions (2004). I watched an anime series titled "Fullmetal Alchemist" at the Fanime Con '04 midnight marathon. Everyone who stayed from midnight to 7am watched 17 episodes. I said to myself, "I'm cosplaying (the main character)" after episode eight. I wore a total of eight costumes. I want to thank my mom for making the costumes.

3. Reading Fiction Books (2008). I had always read non-fiction books which were business, self-improvement, true stories, and investment. Fiction books were not going to improve my life. I was wrong. I learned more about life reading fiction books. I read 75% fiction and 25% non-fiction today.

2. The Job Market Still Sucks (2011). I started looking for a job after I graduated at De Anza College. A B.S. in Economics and an A.A. in Accounting are a good combination. I find a job quickly. I found a job . . . two years and four months later. The biggest obstacle was no recent job experience. Almost all job recruiters and human resources wanted candidates with job experience. They ignored my timeline going back to college. In other words, they dismissed my two years going back to school. Unfair.

1. Growing Up (2008). I'm a grown up adult. I didn't expect to "grow up". I was lucky I realized I must grow up. I should have grown up years ago. Life is much better from a mature point of view.

Email: feedbackininblog@innovateinfinitely.com

No comments: