Saturday, October 10, 2015

40 For 40: The Conversational Grandmother

Introduction: I start a new blog series titled "40 For 40." I share moments and experiences I lived in my 40 years. The ESPN 30 For 30 inspired me to create my 40 For 40 blogs. The sport documentary series detailed people, sport teams, moments, events, and controversial situations. The same ideas apply to my 40 For 40.

My fourth 40 For 40 blog is my first long conversation with a new person.


My mom, aunt, brother, cousin, and I took the Alameda County transit bus from Alameda, CA to San Francisco round trip. My mom and aunt didn't like to drive on the freeway. We departed from the San Francisco bus depot, walked to Chinatown, spent the day at Chinatown, and walked back to the bus depot. Bus letter "O" was our bus.

The five of us arrived early for the next bus from San Francisco to Alameda one trip in 1981. I walked away on my own to a bus pole where bus O stopped. I held on the pole with my two hands to move myself in circles around the pole because I was bored. There was a grandmother in her 80s five feet away from me. She and I talked for a long time. I talked about my family, school, and how I spent my time by myself. She never talked about herself. She listened to everything I said. She responded to everything I said. I didn't know if I bored her. I didn't know if I was interesting. I believed she was being a grandmother as if I was her grandson.

The grandmother followed social conversation human relations etiquette. She was a good listener. She became interested in others. She didn't complain I talked too much. I was a child. I believed she appreciated my time with her because she was with nobody else. She made me feel important by keeping her company. She let me do a great deal of talking, and I hoped I wasn't boring.

I'm looking forward to pay it forward to a young child needing someone to talk.

Email: feedbackininblog@innovateinfinitely.com

No comments: