Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Innovate Infinitely

15 years ago, I started attending San Jose State University (SJSU). I graduated with a B.S. in Economics and a Minor in Mathematics in Fall 1997. I took Academic English II, a remedial writing class, in my first semester because I failed the freshmen entry writing test. I missed passing by one point =(

The class required the students to write three essays. The essays were graded number 1 to number 5 with 5 being best and 1 being worst. No letter grading. I scored a 4 on my three essays. That was good. Each student must talk with the professor and the professor provided feedback. I remember my third talk with the professor. The professor said my scores were good and my writing was consistent. I forgot whether the professor demanded me to improve my writing.

Throughout my five and a half years at SJSU, I was consistent in my education and classes. I never found anything to improve my learning. I believed in the attitude “If it’s not broken, don’t fix it.” I never failed a class and never dropped a class. I failed to innovate my learning, innovate my studying, and innovate my skills outside college. For example, I studied my classes the old fashion way: attend lectures, take notes, go home and read the book, and study my notes. I prepared my exams two weeks before exam day. I failed to find a better way to study back then.

Another example is I didn’t read any books outside my classes. I thought everything I needed to learn was at SJSU. I was wrong. Textbooks taught academic education and failed to teach practical and life lessons. I also failed to innovate myself as a student including meeting new people, finding new interests and hobbies, seeking new adventures, visiting new places . . . the list went on from the small stuff of eating new food to the big stuff of finding a part time job too late. I worked part time on Summer 1996. I should have worked at a job earlier, but at least I did something ^^

Since 2004, I have been catching up—catching up on five and a half years of failed and missed opportunities at SJSU. I say with confidence I have learned new skills, acquired new knowledge, met new friends, visited new places, and experienced new experiences. I continue to keep my eyes open, my ears listening, my brain expanding, my nose smelling, my hands feeling, and my mouth communicating.

Who taught me how to write? Lydia Ortega, Professor of Economics and current Chairwoman of the Economics Department. Thank you for teaching me how to write. Students, if you seek to find something to improve outside your classes, learn how to write better. Innovate your writing skills. After you complete the writing, find something else to innovate. Innovate infinitely.

No comments: