Sunday, October 23, 2011

A Childhood Lowlight

One of my parent’s failures when they raised me as a child happened during the summer. They failed to encourage me to continue learning outside school, growing, exploring, and finding new adventures. My mom believed summer vacations is the time for children to relax. That’s true to an extent. I shouldn’t relax, stay at home, and have little to do. I should be having fun . . . fun learning outside school, growing, exploring, and finding new adventures.

My mom forced my brother and I to learn swimming and playing the piano. Ironically, my brother and I hated those activities. We showed mom our anger and disapproval. My mom had the idea of doing something in the summer. She failed to be open and to help us explore other choices.

In particular, my kindergarten through eighth grade summers were watching television, playing toys, playing video games, and sitting around doing nothing. I rarely hung out with my friends. I didn’t participate in sports, clubs, camps, or even an activity or summer kids program in a community center. I didn’t read any books at home. On the other hand, I did attend summer schools; unfortunately, thinking back, most of the classes were a joke and the teachers didn’t care. I don’t remember learning anything that helped me in the upcoming school year.

I can’t change my past. I wonder what if I had an active summer. I might be a better person today: better social skills, more knowledge of everyday life, more friends, a better career, and more childhood experiences. Moreover, I might have been a better high school and college student. I’m lucky today I have been catching up what I missed when I was young such as reading books, visiting new places, meeting new people, and trying new hobbies. Also, I’m lucky I realized I must grow up on that day I remember forever.

I encourage parents to keep their children active during the summer. Have your children do something, anything. There are more choices of summer activities and programs than when I was a child. Even reading books at home is better than watching television all day. Have them get out and do something, anything, as long as they’re keeping their brains and bodies active and growing.

The Personal Side Of Me Finding Raymond Mar

3 comments:

John J. C. Lew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John J. C. Lew said...

Well said, Raymond.

We should encourage children to have child life and that when they look back they will cherish the moments they had. Sweet memories last almost forever. And there are some great ourdoor activities we're talking about.

Like your writing.

John
www.lews.info

Forever Christmas 1904 said...

I agree with some of the things you have said, but beg to differ. I had kinda the same childhood born out of poverty (or below) at the age of 13 when my father left us. I had a lot of issues, but when I left home, I was very naive, inexperienced, and had to learn by doing. Then, one day, I had an absolutely amazing discovery....I was free to INVENT MYSELF. I could become anyone I wanted to be!Regardless of my past! Forgive your parents...honest, when you become a parent, you will realize they did the best they could. If you don't want to believe me, just ask them...
There is the chance too that you had poorly advised parents who just didn't care, but either way, thanks for your time...