Tuesday, March 12, 2013

My Opinion On Telecommuting

Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer ordered last month all telecommuting employees must work in their offices starting in June. Yahoo's intent is modeling Google and Facebook's working environment of people talking, interacting, and seeing each other every work day. Free meals are provided for employees to spend more time working and producing. According to business surveys, telecommuting is increasing across the United States.

"We need to be working side-by-side," said chief Yahoo Human Resources Jackie Reses.

I agree with Ms. Mayer. I'm old school when it comes to working. Work should be done at work. I get up, eat breakfast, and drive myself to work. I put my hours at work. I drive home, relax, eat a good dinner, and sleep well.

Human interaction is a requirement to a successful team and department. I want to see my co-workers eyes, their smile, and their emotions when communicating and collaborating. How you say it is more important than what you say.

I believe assignments are completed faster, more efficiently, and with better quality. The team interacts with each other and with their managers for elaborations, clarifications, sharing ideas, and improvements at the office. They aren't spread out with some at the office and some telecommuting.

We talk everyday about work, leisure, and finding out who we are inside and outside work. We can eat lunch together and relax together. I know my co-workers much better such as their favorite foods, favorite places to travel, pet peeves, hobbies, and their families. My bottom line is you work at home, then you're not at work, thereby you're not here. You're not here, you're not here.

However . . .

There are a few circumstances appropriate for telecommunicating. One obvious circumstance is health reasons. I don't want a sick co-worker at the office. Stay home. Another obvious circumstance is expected mothers. She feels more comfortable at a home environment with everything she needs at home to take care of herself and her child. And another circumstance is family emergencies and special circumstances such as taking care of a sick child, a utility worker repairing the hot water heater, and being on stand-by for a family event.

No comments: