Monday, March 18, 2013

SOMT: Police Officers At Schools

Blogger’s Note: SOMT stands for Sign Of My Times, an occasional blog sharing my thoughts how time changes life from when I was young to today.

There were two events I see police officers at my high school campus. They were football games or social dances. There were probably police officers when classes were in session to make an arrest. I never saw police officers when I attended classes personally. The last time I saw police officers was during my high school graduation ceremony.

My high school years were peaceful. There was no major event calling for law enforcement to patrol the campus daily. We had the typical fights, pranks, troublemakers, and students with problems needing extra attention. There were no violent crimes, drugs, alcohol, thefts, weapons, and assaults that required police actions; although, if there were, the administrators did a good job handling these problems at a low profile.

I never experienced going to school in a crime ridden city. I never experienced metal detectors, uniformed security personnel, random locker searches, and clear see-through bags. I never experienced fearing my life from physical harm. I never experienced school lockdowns when a felony was in progress near a school. I never experienced duck and cover practice for gun shots.

I believe all the high school districts and unified school districts have their own police force in my city and my neighboring cities. The first time I experienced a campus police force was my first day at San Jose State University. The California State University has a police force for all their campuses.

Times have changed. Today's youth from grade school to high school are exposed to the outside world easily through the media and internet. We are more aware of our surroundings today compared to when I was in high school. The world is complex. We have taken responsibilities and liabilities more serious. That thought influenced school districts having police officers and better security measures in schools.

No comments: