Wednesday, December 15, 2010

De Anza Week Dec 6, 2010

Mon Dec 6

Excel and Integrated Computer Acct classes were completed last week. I had one more class which was Intermediate Acct. One more final. I devoted all my studying time. No worries. I was wrong. I had trouble concentrating since Wed Dec 1. I studied one chapter from Thur Dec 2 to Sat Dec 4. I didn’t study on Sun Dec 5. My mind was exhausted studying and comprehending. The worst was completing missing homework assignments I failed to complete after the first mid-term. I choose to wait for Mon’s lecture and final review to narrow down what I need to study and what I need to avoid.

Mon’s lecture class everybody showed up. All the seats were full. The instructor passed out the practice final. He said, “The final is very similar.” Everyone was worried about the final. Everyone was wide awake during the review. This final was the first time I was scared. I was never scared of any finals before Intermediate Acct and throughout my years at San Jose State. The final is multiple choice and short answer.

My only break between now and the final on Wed Dec 8 was dance class. We reviewed all the dances we learned and danced our dance demonstration Rumba. The class was not full. And some students walked out about 30 minutes into our dances. Those people are not coming back next quarter.

Wed Dec 8

I reviewed everything I needed to know using the practice final as a guide and I studied additional concepts at least three times. I did everything I could. My mind was a sponge full of water ready to be squeezed afterwards. The final was passed out. Multiple choice only. No short answer. You got to be kidding. The final was actually very similar to the practice final. I never had a class where the instructor passed out the sample final that was very similar to the instructor’s practice final. Those classes the practice final and the actual final were different.

Most of the questions in the actual final were from the practice final. The professor changed the numbers and/or changed what was asked on some questions. The concepts were the same. There were some questions from the first mid-term which was expected. I know I passed the final. The question now is what is my final grade.

I promised a few students from the dance demonstration I attend the Wed’s class. I attended and quickly learned their dance routines and their dance demonstration Cha Cha Cha. It was great seeing some people from past dance classes taking the Wed’s class.

Highlights

Fall ’10 quarter was a bad quarter that was the fastest ever—faster than Spring ‘10. The main reason was I had trouble concentrating. I ask myself why. Perhaps I had too much fun. Perhaps I took the quarter for granted such that I got excellent grades in past classes especially my fundamental acct classes my attitude I pass Intermediate Acct easily was false. Perhaps I attended school four days a week instead of two days. Perhaps it was all my classes failing to stimulate my mind; for instance, the Intermediate and Integrated instructors always arrived late and the Excel instructor was lazy. Perhaps it was the San Francisco Giants winning the World Series. It was all of the above.

The De Anza lessons I learned (outside class) saved me from complete unfocus:

*Fall ’09 lesson was everyone is human: Knowing people and making new friends helps lower the stress and the burden of homework, projects, and exams. We’re human. We want to be with people. We don’t want to be alone. And we make mistakes and we learn from them.

*Winter’10 lesson was go with the flow: I think back and Fall ’10 really wasn’t stressful. I went with the present moment. I completed assignments when needed. I adjusted my schedule when needed. I delayed non important errands and assignments when needed. For instance, I delayed my Intermediate Acct homework and studying for the final to prepare for the Integrated Computer Acct. group project. Do whatever I needed to do now. Do everything one at a time.

*Spring ’10 lesson was timing is everything: The past classes I took helped me this quarter. Acct 1B and 1C helped me in Excel. Payroll Acct. helped me in Integrated Computer Acct. Integrated Computer Acct. first 3 weeks of financial acct review helped me review the basics for Intermediate Acct.

Luck was also in my favor. The group presentation in Integrated Computer Acct is the best example. Our group was considered the best because everyone did their part and our oral presentation was considered among the classmates as the best. We were the first picked so we relaxed the rest of the other group presentations.

The classes I completed set me up for Winter ’11 and Spring ’11. If everything goes well, I earn my AA degree after Spring ’11.

*Fall ’10 lesson was use it or lose it: I took Intermediate Acct. even though I have to attend classes four days a week fearing there is no Intermediate Acct. in Winter ’11. The choice was correct. There is an Intermediate Acct. class in Winter ’11. The bad part is the instructor is terrible. Also Intermediate Computer Acct. is a night class in Winter ’11.

I met the most new people and made new friends compared to past quarters. I also checked out classic movies from the library. The movies I watched were The Midnight Cowboy, The French Connection, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, Vertigo, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Some Like It Hot, The Manchurian Candidate, and Rosemary’s Baby. The only boring moments were the lectures.

I attend classes two days a week for Winter ’11. It’s great not going to school four days a week. On days I don’t attend classes, I focus on five activities: ice skating, cooking, working out at the gym, making another costume with my mom, and reading books. Going back to De Anza is a second chance for me going to college. I failed to learn skills and experience new experiences outside the classroom when I attended San Jose State. I’m not making the same mistake twice.

The Personal Side Of Me Finding Raymond Mar

No comments: