Sunday, June 05, 2016

Holidays Were Extended Fun Days When I Was A Child

I remember being happy when my schools closed to celebrate a holiday when I was a child. I never figured out why some schools opened on some holidays. I understood schools closed for teacher staff days and for some famous person's birthday.

Halloween was wearing a costume and getting candy. Thanksgiving Day was pilgrims and Indians giving thanks. Christmas Day was getting gifts. St. Valentine's Day was giving everyone valentines. Easter was one week of spring vacation. Memorial Day was the last holiday before June and summer vacation. Fourth Of July was my summer school holiday I attended four times. Nobody told me the true reasons for most holidays. I never expressed interest to research the true reasons. Holiday school closings were having too much fun. Was I a bad child?

I admit I feel more or less the same as an adult. Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Jesus. St. Valentine's Day honors St. Valentine. There's no definitive information how love and romance is celebrated on St. Valentine's Day. Easter celebrates the resurrection of Jesus. Memorial Day is dedicated to military people who died. I learned in junior high school Fourth Of July is the celebration of Independence Day when the United States of America proclaimed the Declaration Of Independence in 1776.

Am I a bad adult today taking holidays for granted similarly being a bad child having too much fun? I celebrate most holidays as another Sat or Sun resting from the daily life. Some adults think the true meaning of holidays as trivial focusing attention to having fun.

Email: feedbackininblog@innovateinfinitely.com

No comments: