Monday, April 22, 2024

I Read When I Was Five Years Old

Many of today's four year old children and five year old children can't read. I read sentences when I was five years old. I read words when I was in preschool. I remember reading my teacher's name on her desk. I remember reading my name on my snack bag my mom prepared me. I read books when I was in kindergarten. I remember reading the word "playhouse" in the indoor blue colored classroom playhouse with stairs, doors, beds, and a kitchen. I also read the instructions in the math book. My spelling was average. Perhaps, I was in the minority good reading skills didn't correlate with good spelling skills. Sesame Street taught me well.

What happened to schools today compared to decades ago? I don't know why today's young children can't read. On the other hand, I know junior high school students learning Algebra. My nephew learned Algebra when he was in junior high school. Perhaps, at the end of the day, today's public education system has neither progressed nor digressed.

No comments: