Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Top Ten Songs That Cheers Me Up

We experience feeling depressed, sad, and desponded. We're human. We need something to cheer us up. Music is one of my favorite ways to cheer me up. Moreover, according to a new study, published in Nature Neuroscience, demonstrates for the first time that music causes the release of dopamine in the brain, just like other pleasurable stimuli, such as food, drugs, and sex. (Source: Amen Clinics Blog "Feel Good Music".)

Here are my top ten songs:

10. "Crazy For You" by Madonna. Madonna's second number 1 single. The song reminds me of my final year at San Jose State University studying for exams and finals.

9. "Don't Dream It's Over" by Sixpence None The Richer. The band sang the song originally sung by Crowded House.

8. Calmradio.com. If you don't know what Calmradio.com is, go to their site and listen to their fantastic selections including relaxation, classical, nature, and jazz.

7. "Personality" by Lloyd Price. The song reminds me the lesson I learned in Nov. 2012. The single reached as high as number 2 on the Billboard Hot 100.

6. "F**kin! Perfect" by Pink. The song was inspired by her husband Carey Hart. F**kin! Perfect is Pink's 11th top ten hit single. Pink was the last pop CD I purchased.

5. "Unwell" by Matchbox Twenty. The song saved my ass when I was lost and I didn't know what I was doing back in Sep-Oct 2008. Rob Thomas wrote the song for people who are, "messed up and feel alone like that. We all feel a little messed up sometimes... you're not alone."

4. "Better Days" by Goo Goo Dolls. I learned the power of forgiveness listening to the song. I feel optimistic. The song was originally for a Target store Christmas album.

3. "Man In The Mirror" by Michael Jackson. Part of the lyrics below:

And no message could have been any clearer
If you want to make the world a better place
Take a look at yourself, and then make a change

2. "Hey Jude" by The Beatles. Paul McCartney wrote the song to comfort John Lennon's son, Julian, during Lennon's divorce. The song comforts me in a different way. Song credited to Lennon-McCartney.

1. "Let It Be" by The Beatles. One of the best life lessons I learned. I listen to the song so I can always remember it.

Honorable mentions: "Lose Yourself" by EMINEM, "Lady Madonna" by The Beatles, "Cuts Like A Knife" by Bryan Adams, and "You're The One That I Want" by Olivia Newton-John.

No comments: