Saturday, September 21, 2013

My Professional Dream Work Environment

If I'm an executive responsible for my company's workplace environment, culture, perks, and workspaces, then the following is my dream workplace:

*The Work Facilities. I believe in open workspaces and private offices. Everyone either has private offices or everyone works in open workspaces. There are no cubicles. Demolish the cubicle walls just like Peter Gibbons in the movie "Office Space."

Conference rooms, break rooms, kitchens, network printers, and outside areas should be named with a common theme. For example, one of my past companies named their network printers from Looney Tunes characters. Another example is one of the buildings I worked at named their conference rooms from famous classical music composers.

I want white boards placed randomly for workers to write anything or draw anything. Bulletin boards are used to post pictures, information, and even jokes. I want colors. I want art and paintings. I want indoor plants. The common areas and lounge areas include couches, countertops, and comfy chairs for informal meetings and on-the-fly collaborations.

*Telecommuting. I support telecommuting under certain conditions. Some of the conditions include sick children, unreliable transportation, expectant mothers, and family emergencies. I disapprove long-term telecommuting. I'm old school when it comes to worker interaction. Workers must be physically at work or they're not at work.

*Food And Drinks. Free snacks and subsidized meals. The breakfast and lunch meals must be hearty, healthy, and filling. The value must be great for the price the workers pay. A variety of meals each day is important.

Filter water from the faucet or water from the cooler is good. I disapprove bottled water and sodas. Sodas are unhealthy. Brand name coffee is mandatory. I stop buying no-name coffee brands.

*Physical Activity. On-site gyms, basketball courts, volleyball courts, running tracks, bicycle paths, etc. I allow workers to submit their off-site gym memberships for reimbursements as long as the workers prove they check-in at their gyms.

*Innovate Infinitely. Workers are given an allowance to enroll in classes. Take a class in Photoshop. Improve Excel. Learn marketing. Be a better cook.

Never stop learning. Never stop innovating.

*Onsite Services. Child care, auto repairs, bike tune-ups, banking, and dry cleaning. Workers, please submit more ideas.

*Flexible hours. I approve. A worker can't work Monday. He or she can work Saturday instead. No problem.

*I Need A Break. Pool tables, foosball tables, tabletop board games and puzzles, and video games. I establish a Blu-Ray movie of the week on Friday's. I promote off-site activities and gatherings for workers and their families.

My goals are to promote open communicating, provide free flow thinking and collaboration, lower worker's stress, help workers focus more on their work, create a loose and fun environment, and socialize easier. More goals are low complaints, workers getting along with as many other co-workers as possible, and promoting a friendly environment clients and visitors feel welcome. I'm an executive. I must accomplish my goals professionally.

No comments: