Monday, September 09, 2013

Maybe Going Back To College Was Worth It

My Cisco contract was terminated on Nov 2008. I choose to go back to college on Mar 2009. I graduated with an AA degree in Accounting on Mar 2011. I hoped my BS in Economics and AA in Accounting degrees are a good combination to help me find a job when I graduated. I'm still looking for a job as of today.

Going back to college was a second chance in my life. I started college as a weak, naive, and confused person. I ended college as a strong, more mature, and grown up person. Even though I could have searched for a job and hit a jackpot finding employment during the real estate and financial crisis recession, I experienced new experiences, learned life lessons, and sought new adventures in college. These awoke who I really am. Everything changed for the better.

What Happened Back In College?

The best part was meeting new people, making new friends, and meeting my girlfriend. I estimate 20% of my Facebook friends I met in my classes. I add approximately 10% additional friends I met through my college friends. This is an example of how people should always meet new people and make new friends. The circle of friends grows and new circles are created.

I was exposed to new interests and hobbies. I started ballroom dancing, reading fiction books, watching classic movies, and playing Mahjong (Riichi). Ballroom dance class was where I met my girlfriend. I learned more about living a better life reading fiction books than non-fiction books such as self-help and leadership books. I took advantage of the library checking out classic movies on DVD for my personal movie of the week. And I developed more appreciation playing Mahjong and, in general, board games because they bring people together.

There were many new first time adventures. I took a class on ice skating. I visited the Charles M. Schulz museum. I hiked many new trails. I attended the San Jose and Monterey Jazz Festivals. I rode the San Francisco Cable Car for the first time in my life. I watched a San Jose Sharks hockey game inside their arena for the first time. I watched a Paul McCartney concert. I enrolled in another college to take a class. And there were much, much more.

I changed myself physically. My orthodontic treatment was completed. I have a new smile. I completed my Accutane treatment to stop my acne. I followed new gym workout plans I downloaded at Bodybuilding.com. And I wore new clothes. For example, no more plain white t-shirts and pleated pants.

I made daily life changes and improvements. I'm active with social networking such as Facebook and Twitter. I shave with a razor blade instead of an electric razor. I shower with body wash instead of soap. I eat breakfast every day that includes taking vitamins. And I change my bedsheets once a month.

And there were life lessons I learned. Never take life for granted. Always meet new people. Never stop learning. Use it or lose it. Stop complaining about life. Earn your successes. Get up and do something, anything. Take life one day at a time; have fun, learn, and enjoy. Be professional at your job.

I must believe going back to college and creating a gap in my professional resume were worth pausing my life. I must believe I'm going to be a better worker when I start working again. I must believe I'm ready to live on my own as a wiser adult who makes better choices. Time will tell whether going back to college was worth it.

No comments: