Saturday, December 15, 2007

24 Hours In Two Days

Since Thanksgiving holiday, work has been bad timing, mis-communication, lack of information, and bad luck. I finished my assignments too late because of my boss and department manager's emergency, priority, last minute assignments. My team finished our 1st Quarter Fiscal Year 2008 report one month in the 2nd Quarter and it took us eight weeks to finish. In fairness, the 1st Quarter report was the first time using a new template the department manager hired someone to create.

In particular, Thursday December 13 and Friday December 14, I worked 12 hours each day. I wonder if the two days foreshadows my future in my company or somewhere else . . . I'm at a higher position with more responsibilities and manage people :-P I hope to find ways to complete more work at less time. I innovate infinitely.

I worked my ass off the two days because I'm on vacation Monday December 17 to Friday December 21. I must take vacation or I lose my vacation. I tried to do all my assignments and set up unfinished assignments for my co-workers to complete easily. I wanted to finish all my assignments only I can complete so I have nothing to worry about during my vacation. On Wednesday December 13 and most of Thursday, there were no new assignments and I worked on outstanding assignments.

On Friday around 3pm, I received an assignment due Monday afternoon. I told them I was on vacation. I completed the same assignment two times before. The difference was the senior executives who read the assignment wanted updates every two weeks. I forgot completing the assignment before because I didn't know people wanted updates. So I had to remember how I completed it, and the miscommunication made the assignment worse :( I managed to finish at 7pm, and I know I did something wrong, likely miscommunication. Then I went back to my earlier assignments only I can complete. At 8:45pm, I couldn't work anymore. My hands were shaking and I caught too many mistakes. I was like being high on caffeine, and I never drank coffee.

It was bad timing I got the 3pm assignment when I was going on vacation next week. Also, earlier in the week, I was testing our department database. I spent at least eight hour testing an upgrade. On Friday around 6pm, I got a call on my work number, call on my cell number, and an email from the Project Manager to inspect the final upgrade and sign off. Man, so much. Why can't people do their assignments themselves, LOL~~ And I failed to finish all my assignments. I couldn't finish with the incoming, unexpected, priority assignments given to me at the last minute. *cries*

No comments: