Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Need For Speed

I remember one dream I played for the San Francisco 49ers football team. Bill Walsh was the head coach. Joe Montana was the quarterback. I was a running back. It was late in the 4th quarter and the 49ers were down seven points to the opposition. I don't remember the opposition team name.

Montana called the play in the huddle. I was at Montana's left side and he was in shot gun formation. My route was to bump a defensive pass rusher and run a slant to the right side. Montana said immediately after the huddle if I'm open, expect at pass at the 20 yard line. We were in the opposition 40 yard line.

The play began. I bumped a defensive pass rusher and ran my route. I was open at the 25 yard line. I knew the ball was in the air and when I turn around before I arrived at the 20 yard line, the ball was there for me to catch. Unfortunately, the ball was intercepted. Montana threw a perfect pass. I was slow to reach the 20 yard line. The defensive back who intercepted read the play and arrived at the 20 faster than me.

The 49ers lost the game. Coach Walsh and Montana said nothing. My teammates gave me the look that I failed. I failed. Yes, I failed. The team walked to the locker room. I was thinking what I did wrong. I figured it out. I needed speed. I was too slow. If I was faster, I arrived at the 20 yard line to catch the ball.

I worked to increase my speed the next day. And then I woke up =)

No comments: