Wednesday, July 27, 2011

SOMT: From Land Lines Phones To Smart Phones

Blogger’s Note: SOMT stands for Sign Of My Times, an occasional blog sharing my thoughts how time changes life from when I was young to today. It’s been a long time I wrote a SOMT.

I remember July 1, 1998, the day I got my first cell phone. I just started my first job after graduating college. My first big purchase was a Nokia cell phone in Pacific Bell store. The black cell phone was almost the size of a brick. The weight was as heavy as a paperweight. The screen was about 40% of the phone size.

I had a smaller Nokia in 2001 and two LG cell phones from 2006-2011 thereafter. My last LG phone I texted, took pictures, listened to music, and wrote notes on my notepad. My older cell phones were ordinary phones that included call waiting and voice mail. On July 6, 2011, I purchased my first smart phone on the last day Verizon offered unlimited data. I found out days before Verizon announced an end to their unlimited data plan. I quickly researched and choose the Droid X2. I wanted to purchase a solid, reasonably priced smart phone to lock in the unlimited data plan for future contracts.

I remember students in my high school had pagers. In college, some students had pagers and a few students had cell phones. I remember one student’s phone rang three times in a Calculus II class in 1993. Many students either couldn’t afford a cell phone or believed cell phones were a bothersome when somebody calls.

Times have changed. Cell phones are affordable and a necessity. The reason I purchased a cell phone was for convenience: communicate with my family and friends and for emergencies. I have a smart phone today. Smart phones, used properly, make life easier. I find nearby restaurants, use maps for directions, take better pictures, and connect to the internet to find information. And I keep in touch with family and friends more effectively because my smart phone has Facebook and Twitter apps.

I believe everyone should have a cell phone or smart phones for at least communicating and for emergencies. Twenty years ago, almost everyone was on a land line talking on the phone. A person must find a phone when there is an emergency. Today, almost everyone is talking on a cell phone indoors and outdoors, in a restaurant or at the park, and in a car or bus. Most people can call on their cell phones for emergencies. Smart phones provide additional convenience including paying bills, watching videos, writing notes, listening to music, and doing something to occupy time a person is waiting.

The Personal Side Of Me Finding Raymond Mar

No comments: