Sunday, September 11, 2011

My 9/11 Day

Today is the 10th anniversary of 9/11. I share my 9/11.

I woke up late because my alarm clock broke. I jumped up from bed immediately and called my coworker telling him I arrive late and I’m not sick. Here was the phone conversation:

Me: Hey, Larry. I’m sorry I’m going to be late to work. My alarm clock broke.
Larry: Did you hear what happened?
Me: Ummm, the CEO resigned?
(My company experienced internal executive problems.)
Larry: The Twin Towers exploded.
Me: Uh, okay. I’m leaving now.

Honestly, it took me time to digest what happened. I went to the family room and turned on the TV. Holy shit! I saw smoke coming out of the Twin Towers. Each television station broadcasted the Twin Towers, the Pentagon, and Shanksville, Pennsylvania. I was in denial. I said to myself, “No way terrorists on USA soil.” Terrorists were on USA soil, and they carried out their attacks.

The commute to Downtown San Jose was the fastest ever. The traffic was as light as Super Bowl Sunday. It took me ten minutes to arrive at work. The office was dead silent. There were no more than ten brokers out of 50+ in the office. Most of the staff were at the workstations. I completed little work in the database.

The managing partner emailed the entire office to inform everyone the office closes early. All the staff were released at 3pm. The commute home was the fastest ever, too. 10 minutes to arrive home. I remembered the afternoon DJ for 106.5 FM said “God Bless America” and played Pink Houses by John Cougar Mellencamp.

The rest of the day I watched television and worked on my next update for my webpage. The update was a page devoted to September 11, 2001.

The Personal Side Of Me Finding Raymond Mar

1 comment:

Forty Pound Sack said...

If I live to be a hundred I will never forget that day.