Thursday, November 17, 2011

SOMT: My Job Search

Blogger’s Note: SOMT stands for Sign Of My Times, an occasional blog sharing my thoughts how time changes life from when I was young to today.

I remember searching for my first job after graduating San Jose State. I searched for open job positions at job websites. Two of the websites I browsed were San Jose State’s online career center and I believe careerbuilder.com. I printed my resume and cover letter hardcopy and mail them to positions I’m interested. I wrote the addresses on the envelope by hand.

I received three interviews between Feb and June 1998. The first interview was in Foster City. I forgot the name of the company. I didn’t get the job because I was overqualified. The second interview was in San Jose near the San Jose Airport. I don’t know why I didn’t get the job because they never contacted me. The third interview was also near the San Jose Airport. I got the job working as a Research Analyst at Grubb & Ellis.

Today, after graduating with an AA degree in Accounting from De Anza College, I search online at Monster, Careerbuilder, and San Jose State’s career center. I create job profiles in big companies throughout Silicon Valley to search for their open jobs. I email my resume and cover letter or complete their online application instead of mailing my resume and cover letter.

Sometimes I receive a call for an opening and sometimes I receive an email for an opening. If a company seriously wants to interview you, they call you instead of emailing you from my experience. However, my friends say an email requesting you to reply back with your resume is considered a legitimate job opening.

Timing and luck have not changed since 1998. My jobs at Colliers and Cisco involved timing, and Cisco involved luck. My Colliers job was an example of networking. The manager who hired me at Grubb also hired me at Colliers. We kept in touch during the months we separated.

The economy remains weak. Finding jobs is the hardest for me ever. I continue to find open jobs and email my resume and cover letter for positions I’m qualified. I’m confident I find a job. I succeeded in the past and I succeed again. I need favorable timing and good luck.

The Personal Side Of Me Finding Raymond Mar

1 comment:

jaylen watkins said...

Yes I agree when the requirement is very urgent company will call instead of e-mailing about the opening.

Cover Letters