Thursday, October 18, 2012

SOMT: Call Me On My Cell Or Text Me

Blogger’s Note: SOMT stands for Sign Of My Times, an occasional blog sharing my thoughts how time changes life from when I was young to today.

I rooted my smart phone and installed Google Android 4.0 also known as Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) earlier this week. The time learning how to root and learning how to install ICS was worth my time, and I'm an average PC user with average technology knowledge. I installed all of my apps and customized my settings.

I remember my years attending San Jose State University. The chances of a student owning a cell phone back in the early to mid 90s was small. There was a student's cell phone ringing that disrupted class. The college newspaper occasionally published an article or an editorial stating cell phones were a waste of money. I didn't want to own a cell phone because I didn't want to be disturbed. I didn't want to own a cell phone because I didn't want to carry something heavy. I didn't want to own a cell phone because . . . .

I asked for the student's phone number, which was always their home number, to organize study groups, to get together for a project, or to hang out on a Fri night. There was no email. The only way to communicate outside school was calling from my home phone to another person's home phone. Moreover, I remember my high school days talking to friends on landlines. Teenagers can use their cell phones and talk anywhere around the house for privacy and keeping the home line free today.

I say, "call me on my cell or text me". Another way to communicate and keep in touch is "I add you to my Facebook". Email is still effective. I can chat online. I have AIM and Google+. Someone can follow me on Twitter. I use LinkedIn for professional networking. I don't need your home number anymore. I have multiple ways to communicate with family, friends, and acquaintances in today's information age.

I believe everyone should have a cell phone. A cell phone is a good communication device to keep in touch with people and excellent for emergencies. Games and gadgets are secondary to me. My top uses are communication including talk, text, and email; GPS and maps; dictionary; social networking such as Facebook and Twitter; and seeing information such as Yelp and Wikipedia. I have a .pdf copy of my resume just in case I meet a hiring manager or supervisor looking for people.

No comments: