Wednesday, October 10, 2012

My Best Way Of Learning

I believe my best way of learning should be used throughout many education institutions, academies, camps, schools, vocational training, on the job training, and instructional facilities. My best way of learning is repetition and trial and error. Someone teaches me step by step. I ask questions. The instructor answers them. I write notes. The instructor clarifies my misunderstandings. The lessons are completed. I study my notes and review my notes. I practice, practice, and practice. I think and comprehend the concepts and ideas. I continue practicing. I make mistakes. I learn from the mistakes. I continue studying and reviewing.

Repetition and trial and error are the two best ways to learn. They're not boring. They're effective. I was successful in school and college studying with those methods. I was also successful at my jobs. A senior worker trained me, watched me, and helped me write my notes. I followed my notes, made mistakes, and thought about the processes. Moreover, I thought of better ways to complete my assignments and responsibilities.

Sport camps, police academies, military training, and the arts use repetition and trial and error. The athletes, cadets, soldiers, dancers, singers, and artists practice, practice, and practice. They make mistakes and are corrected. They try something new. They make mistakes and are corrected. I took R.O.T.C. for three years in high school. Repetition and trial and error were the best ways to learn how to march, operate a rifle, and memorize leadership knowledge.

People Learn Their Way Of Thinking Themselves

I disagree with schools teaching students how to think. The last time I visited a high school was tutoring high school algebra in 1995. The textbooks were different in 1995 compared to when I went to high school in the late 1980s. These 1995 textbooks were written such that they wanted to teach the students to think and make high school learning fun. My textbooks were raw knowledge. My textbooks were written to show the students how to solve the problems step by step followed by many problems to practice, practice, and practice. Some of the problems were hard and tricky. That was part of learning. I learned by trial and error. I got the wrong answer. I thought how and why I got the answer wrong. I learned from my mistake. I was not bored with my classes. It was the teachers that made the classes boring. My learning methods helped me in math, science, and foreign language classes. English, geography, and social science were mostly memorization.

My high school didn't teach me how to think. I discovered myself my best ways to think. I believe students or individuals figure out their own way of thinking themselves. We think differently and at different speeds. Some are fast thinkers and some are slow thinkers. Some are logical thinkers. Some are practical thinkers. Some are abstract thinkers. Any school or college level institution can't teach a student how to think. They can help a student find his or her thinking methods. I believe the more knowledge, the more exposure to learning something new, the more new experiences, then the person develops, maintains, and strengthens his or her thinking and learning skills. Never stop learning. Never stop innovating.

No comments: