Saturday, December 08, 2012

Top Ten Favorite Beatles Songs

The Beatles are my favorite band. Many of their songs and messages are relevant today. I listen to The Beatles when I work out at the gym, cook, browse the web, and for background music. The Beatles are a good cheer-me-up music. I played Beatles Rock Band at a friend's house in 2009. I was the singer, hehe. I attended a Paul McCartney concert at AT&T Park in San Francisco, CA in 2010. The last time McCartney visited San Francisco was their last concert as The Beatles.

I admit I started listening to The Beatles in 2004. My parents didn't introduce me to The Beatles and even 1960s-70s rock when I was a child. Contemporary music became unappealing to me in late 2003 to early 2004. I started listening to classic rock, especially The Beatles. I continue listening to classic rock as one of my favorite music.

Here are my top ten favorite Beatles songs:

10. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds. This song is a top favorite when I sang playing Beatles Rock Band. The song is about the drug LSD--Lucy Sky Diamonds. BTW, "Got To Get You Into My Life" is about marijuana and "Day Tripper" is about acid.

9. Yesterday. McCartney thought of the melody in a dream. He talked to people in the music business to make sure nobody else wrote a song similar to "Yesterday" before writing the lyrics.

8. Get Back. The song was performed three times as part of the rooftop performance on top of Apple Studios in Savile Row, London. Police interrupted their performance because of noise complaints from office workers.

I heard the song for the first time in 1991, and, sadly speaking, I didn't know The Beatles sang it. It was good.

7. Here Comes The Sun. George Harrison wrote the song when he visited Eric Clapton's house. John Lennon was not present during the recording because he was recovering from a car accident.

6. Ticket To Ride. The song reminds me to take care of my girl and never take her for granted.

5. Two Of Us. I like the acoustic guitars which McCartney reworked after an early performance in a guitar-driven rock style. The original title was "On Our Way Home", which was dedicated to his fiance at the time Linda Eastman.

4. Lady Madonna. I like the piano which was inspired by rock/blues pianist Fats Domino.

3. Hello, Goodbye. The single was released in Nov 1967. McCartney was interviewed explaining the song was "The answer to everything is simple. It's a song about everything and nothing. If you have black, you have to have white. That's the amazing thing about life."

2. Hey Jude. The first single released under Apple Records. The song was about John Lennon's son, Julian, during his parents' divorce. It was written to comfort Julian from the stress of divorce.

I enjoyed the McCartney live version when the audience sang at AT&T Park. I sang it, too.

1. Let It Be. I realized the wisdom in 2008, weeks before I realized I must grow up. I found the answers I needed.

Honorable mentions: Something, I Feel Fine, Getting Better, and Blackbird.

No comments: