Saturday, May 03, 2014

Work Sat May 3, 2014

Mon Apr 21's shift was scheduled for a short staff. The store was dead throughout the day. I was assigned customer pick-ups in the back of the store. There was no activity.

A corporate customer picked up his big order for his big client on Tue Apr 22. I handled the order because the front-end manager was busy. I should have let the customer wait for the manager. The big order was special. I wanted to be a team player and help the front-end.

Wed Apr 23 was the data entry/bookkeeper meeting. The meeting started late. It was productive. We needed more time to discuss more concerns. A new pricing grid was created to help the owner price new products more consistently. I clocked out for lunch at 3:30pm ordering a broccoli beef lunch take-out at a Chinese restaurant two blocks from the store. I waited inside the restaurant watching the San Francisco Giants vs. Colorado Rockies. I saw Hector Sanchez hit a grand slam in the top of the 11th inning.

The second store was staffed in full for my Thur Apr 24 workday. The store was entirely dead. The tasting was delayed because the rep was sick. One of the managers submitted a two week extended leave of absence due to a physical injury. I realized walking around the aisles we have plenty of popular wines in stock. I must refer customers from the first store to the second store when the first store has zero inventory and the second store has positive inventory; for example, Cherry Tart pinot noir. My blue pen ran out of ink.

Mon Apr 28 was surprisingly busy. I worked at the back-end the entire day because the other data entry/bookkeeper was out with a migraine. The day was easy for me.

Most of my Tue Apr 29 shift was at the front-end. The email special of the day Hindsight wine sold out at the end of the day. Everyone at the front-end took phone orders. The other data entry/bookkeeper received front-end training at 4pm and I worked at the back-end. I entered nine new products; fortunately, we received samples to eight products for which I looked at the labels that helped me.

I worked at the second store on Wed Apr 30. The air condition broke at the back of the store and the tasting room. The tasting at the first store today and the tasting at the second store tomorrow were cancelled. Two of my co-workers set up a desk in the tasting room for the other data entry/bookkeeper. I didn't know why a desk was set up. We divide the time working at the second store each week.

There was training at the first store on Thur May 1. Penfolds, an Australian wine producer, provided the first training. The second training was beer for the first store staff.

Everyone arrived early at the second store for our Fri May 2 shifts. Everyone was at the front-end because the air condition was still broken. The repairman said Sat is the earliest the air condition works. The wine tastings for both stores were switched. I assisted and solved the first store's tasting problems and confusion. I didn't know why. I sensed unnecessary stress.

There were no customers when the wine maker arrived. The staff took turns being a shill. The owner and staff were relieved more customers entered the store and tasted wine towards closing. The winemaker is known for wearing overalls. A beer rep provided free goodies for the staff including bottle openers on key chains, pens, and beer lip balm.

No comments: