Friday, October 03, 2014

My Thoughts On Job Searching

My thoughts to the point.

1. Resumes. Resumes communicated the job candidate's long-term potential. The education, the past experiences, and the job skills told the employer what you're going to do for future success. For example, did the candidate have the ability to learn the job such as learning new software programs, learning new concepts, and getting along with his or her co-workers? The thinking was during my time when I graduated college and previous generations.

Resumes are different today. Resumes communicate the job candidate's potential today. The education, the past experiences, and the job skills tell the employer what you're doing today. Forget the ability to learn on the job. Employers want job candidates to know everything now. Employers want job candidates with experience now. The known catch-22 is how can job candidates learn everything now if they can't find a job to learn everything.

2. A Full Time Job. Searching for a full time job is a full time job. If you're not job searching, then you should be learning new job skills. Take me for example. I'm learning Python. I'm reviewing MySQL. I completed reviewing Excel's pivot tables and v-lookups and Access.

I job search six days a week for a minimum of one hour. Nobody finds a job doing nothing. You must spend time for your future career and for your self-esteem. Stay strong. Stay brave.

3. Questioning My Job Searching. I question my job searching sometimes. What am I doing correctly? What am I doing incorrectly? I started job searching on Wed Sep 10. The result as of the blog entry is one interview. I received phone calls and email inquiries. Nothing moved forward thereafter. It's discouraging. I remain strong. I move forward. I hope each weekday I get a call for an interview.

Am I doing too much? Am I producing diminishing marginal returns? Maybe I need to spend less time. Less is more?

4. Accept Rejections. Rejections are part of life. Job searching is no exception. I know people looking for a job with great experience and great knowledge in their field of expertise. They get rejected. Accept the rejections. Move on. Hope for another day to get an interview.

5. 50% Qualified. There are many jobs with lengthy job descriptions. Most of us read the key information such as qualifications, required job skills, education, and length of contract and pay rate if the two are disclosed. The job descriptions are written to hire the perfect job candidate. Almost all hires aren't perfect candidates to satisfy the entire job description. Moreover, a recruiter or a human resources employee likely wrote the long job description because he or she had too much free time.

Apply to jobs you qualify a minimum of 50% of the job requirements. You never know what's going to happen.

6. Cover Letters. Cover letters are risky. If you make a mistake, then you're no longer a job candidate. Include a cover letter in your job application when a cover letter is required or when you apply to a high level position. Don't submit a cover letter when in doubt.

7. Job Fairs. My opinion is the participating companies are just marketing their companies. Nothing more. Avoid job fairs. They're a waste of time.

8. I'm Hired. I'm Doing This? I worked at four companies since I graduated college. All of the companies I worked my job expectations and my responsibilities were different than what was written in the job description. I expect there's going to be a variation to my job function from the job description for my next job I'm hired. Here's another reason to apply for jobs you satisfy 50% of the job requirements.

Email: feedbackininblog@innovateinfinitely.com

No comments: