Saturday, April 18, 2015

Work Sat Apr 18, 2015

Fri Apr 3: Spring Day. Company holiday. Begin the 30 day countdown my contract ends.

Mon Apr 6: My first 10am-7pm and 3-4pm lunch work day. It reminded me the schedule at my last job was 10am-7pm and 3-4pm lunch.

The power supply units arrived. There were two pallets totaling 133 units. I removed the units from the packaging.

Tue Apr 7: I began arriving at a later time instead of 8am. The commute traffic was lighter. My gas mileage was back to normal. No more 30% lower gas mileage driving longer time commutes arriving at 8am.

I learned from my mistakes the first time I opened the power supply units. I organized the opened boxes and form packaging to make them easier to throw away. I also used an empty big box to throw away the bubble wrap. I took my time opening the remaining 133 units at 6pm.

Wed Apr 8: I finished logging the power supply units in an Excel file.

Two co-workers told me their workload was busy because of quarter-end. The month of May begins the fiscal fourth quarter.

Thur Apr 9: I picked up my new security badge. The new badges are security enhanced with photo and first name only printed on the front and back sides.

I felt sleepy around 11:45am. I ate half of a bag of Fritos. Then I ate an apple I grabbed in the coffee room. I woke up minutes later. Maybe I should bring an apple to work. On the other hand, maybe not because I needed to take a dump.

I tested the power supply units in the tech operations lab. It was my first assignment testing components. One of the test engineers joked being a test engineer is my new career. I learned to wear no watches on my wrist. My wrist hurt due to repetitive tasks. I take off my wrist watch tomorrow.

Fri Apr 10: I ate some breakfast courtesy of the weekly Fri breakfasts provided by the company. Today's breakfast came from Panera. I ate a piece of apple coffee cake.

I finished testing the power supply units in the tech operations lab. My engineer told me to request RMAs at the manufacturing website.

Mon Apr 13: The network emailed me to change my password. I didn't change my password because I'm no longer working on the day I work six months.

I shipped the power supply units to the manufacturer.

Tue Apr 14: My engineer assigned me to test the SSDs. I used an USB SSD reader, installed the testing software, and began testing at my cubicle.

Facilities installed low flow faucet heads in all the sinks.

Wed Apr 15: I ate lunch with my contractor's on-site recruiter. She told me to email my updated resume tonight. She forward my resume to her colleges working with other companies. There were no new contractor positions coming up in the company. It was confirmed I start job searching.

I learned the contractor working terms changed since I contracted at Cisco in 2008. There are no more indefinite contracts. For example, Cisco's maximum length contract policy is 18 months. If Cisco wants to keep the contractor after 18 months, he or she must be converted to full time. I also learned to look at the whole picture when companies save money hiring contractors. My contractor company charges a 35% fee. The company is saving money. The company is not paying the contractor's taxes and worker's comp. My contractor company pays the taxes and worker's comp. My contractor's company is making a small profit. It's contrary to the common knowledge contractor companies make easy money providing contractors to companies.

I found out the contractor who assisted the risk manager is training a new executive assistant. Her contract ends Apr 29. There was no extension. She continues job searching.

Thur Apr 16: The test engineer convinced my engineer the SSDs must complete phase two testing. Phase two is a longer test. My engineer told me to test SSDs with an RMA number because if the customer's complaint on the RMA says SSD failed, then the SSD is phase two tested. Otherwise, the SSD is not phase two tested.

A funny moment on my way to the storage to get the first box of SSDs. Another worker and I rode the same elevator to the first floor. I grabbed the first box of SSDs. I walked back to the elevators. I saw the same worker waiting for the elevators. He told me he went to a server room to check the cables. I told him I needed the SSDs for testing. He asked questions why I'm testing.

The commute driving home was unusually long. I drove out of the parking lot at 7:15pm. There was traffic between El Camino and Saratoga as if I was driving at 5:15pm. It seemed the signal lights on green were timed shorter.

Fri Apr 17: I arrived at 10:10am. It reminded me when I ran late to work at my last job. The reason was I played Planet vs. Zombies for the first time on my phone last night. Addicting. I deleted the game after playing for 2.5 hours.

I continued phase two SSD testing. The average time per SSD was 1.5 hours.

My engineer told me the next shipment of power supply units was lost. He was mad. We expected at least three more pallets.

Email: feedbackininblog@innovateinfinitely.com

No comments: