Sunday, September 16, 2007

There Are Too Many People Here

On Friday September 14, I read an article about global warming and population growth at http://www.slate.com/toolbar.aspx?action=print&id=2173458. The article talked about reducing the birth rate for future generations to raise their children in today’s Earth-green awareness. China instituted a mandatory reduction birth rate which failed. The article stated the United Nations predict the population reach 9.2 billion in 2050 for which most of the growth in developing countries per capita emissions are the lowest. Developed countries emissions increases and birth rates decreases; however, a child born can impact emissions. Regardless, innovations in agriculture technology assures there is plenty of food.

In short, technological advances reduce emissions and save the Earth from any global environment crisis. The population increase has little to do with the growing emissions problems because our lifestyles change as we live to be greener such as fuel efficient cars, energy saving appliances, and LED technology.

My thoughts on population growth involve something else. Looking at the population growth from a supply and demand point of view (in other words, my economics point of view =__=), as population increase, there is more demand. If the supply stays fixed, prices increase. For example, are there going to be enough public services to handle to increase in population as new families are born and cities and communities grow? I hope cities receive enough tax money to pay for the services.

What about medical care? Working parents add their children to their medical and dental benefits. I wonder the true reason the increase in medical care costs is there are more people to insure. How about garbage? I hope technology find ways to recycle more than cans, bottles, and glass. I fear we are going to run out of land in our dumps for our garbage.

I don’t have numbers and I don’t have published facts to support my opinion population growth create problems except global warming and famine. I’m speaking from my intuition. I live across the street from a school. I wake up on a Saturday mornings hearing the soccer and t-ball families getting together with their children. I look out the window and I see so many children. For the record, I’m not against couples starting families. It’s just that I fear a family having four or five children. I don’t know how parents can raise at least four children financially and keeping their relationship. Really, I don’t. And when the children get married and choose to start a family, there are more people in the world.

The world is getting crowded. I see lots of people in shopping malls, libraries, anywhere outside my house. I fear with so many people crimes go up, more garbage, roads need more maintenance because families are required to drive more, and our personal space shrinks.

No comments: