Thursday, February 03, 2011

De Anza Week Jan 31, 2011

Mon Jan 31

Yesterday one of my friends and I talked about grades and classes. He approaches his semester by concentrating on learning the concepts instead of worrying about mid-terms and grades. I’m going to try his approach. I was raised to study hard and get A’s. I worry about failing on my mid-terms. Starting today, I focus on just learning and understanding the concepts. Whatever grade I earn on my mid-term, I earn it.

That approach came at good timing. Intermediate Acct is getting boring. The material is not hard. It takes time to understand. I concentrate on learning and understanding. Worrying about the mid-term is secondary. I hope focusing on the learning objectives make Intermediate Acct less boring and more exciting.

Today’s Intro to Bus lecture was long and boring. The instructor finished his lecture ten minutes early. Thank goodness. One concept he lecture was the SWOT analysis or Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats. I learned SWOT when I took a business plan class in Winter ’06.

We spent half of the class reviewing the Nite Club Two Step. The review was needed badly. Many students including me forgot the final routine. The last 45 minutes we started to learn the Rumba. The basic was review. Then we learned a new move that was difficult for me.

Tomorrow is my first day at Mission College. I’m taking Quickbooks. I include my Tuesdays at Mission College in the De Anza blog.

Tue Feb 1

My first day at Mission College. I arrived 40 minutes before class started. I walked around the small campus. First, I found my lecture room. Second, I got my student ID card. Third, I walked inside the cafeteria. The food prices are cheaper than De Anza. Pepsi is the fountain soda; however, there is Coke in a can next to the deli sandwiches. My favorite was the grill serves breakfast all day. Great! I try their grill food one of these days. I purchased a bag of Lays BBQ chips. The campus center has a modern look.

There is a grace period for parking. Parking enforcement allows students to park free of charge. I did the math. It’s cheaper for me to pay the daily rate instead of purchasing a semester parking permit.

I walked inside the classroom 10 minutes before class started. The classroom is a lecture room. There are no computers. The teacher was calling tech support because Quickbooks was not installed in the classroom PC. The tech staff arrived with Quickbooks 10 minutes after class started to install Quickbooks. In the meantime, the teacher explained the green sheet including the classroom hours. The class is actually two hours lecture and one hour homework time where students can ask the teacher for help. Initially, I thought the class was three hours lecture. The teacher explained because of budget cuts, he was able to add an extra hour for each class meeting to help students.

Next week, I bring my laptop installed with Quickbooks. There are outlets along the right side and back of the room. I follow his lecture on my laptop. I purchased the textbook at Amazon.

Side note: Winter ’10 is the second time I attended two colleges. The first time was in Fall 1994 where I attended San Jose State Mon, Wed, and Fri and West Valley College Tue and Thur.

Wed Feb 2

The fatigue bug must be spreading this week. I took a long nap Tue afternoon after I ate lunch. Today, I was half fatigued. I almost went to sleep in Intro to Bus class. I kept awake because I walked around campus for ten minutes to get fresh air. I was half focused reading Chapter 15 in accounting in the library. I noticed some students were fatigued.

I was tired of eating the same breakfast I wanted something different. I went to Safeway and purchased English muffins and sausage. I went home and ate them plus apples for breakfast. I drove to school at 12:15pm. I arrived in Intermediate Acct at 12:45pm. The signal lights were against me. I managed to sign the attendance sheet after class. The professor announced the mid-term Mon Feb 14 which is also the same day as my second Intro to Bus mid-term.

I had a small reunion with four classmates from Integrated Computer Acct. I talked to two of them before Intro to Bus and the other two when I ate lunch inside the campus center.

Today’s dance class attendance was the smallest since the first day. I recognize a few missing students. It must have been the fatigue bug. We continued practicing the West Coast Swing and then we learned the Cha Cha Cha. The teacher and the assistant corrected me on my West Coast Swing mistakes.

No weekend movie because of Super Bowl.

The Personal Side Of Me Finding Raymond Mar

No comments: