Thursday, September 27, 2012

Top Five Mistakes I Learned On And After Oct 4, 2008

I realized I must grow up on Sat Oct 4, 2008. My life has been changing for the better since. I have more friends today compared to four years ago. I'm smarter today compared to four years ago. I'm more physically fit compared to four years ago. I have found new adventures and experience new experiences compared to four years ago. I'm wiser today compared to four years ago. I'm many steps closer to find who I am.

I learned from many mistakes I committed before Sat Oct 4, 2008. There are mistakes I still need to learn, and mistakes I'm going to commit to learn. There are weaknesses I need to get stronger. I want to share my top five mistakes I learned.

1. Grow up. The first lesson was immediate. It was time to grow up. Wise up. No more acting like a child. The immature attitude stopped.

2. Never take life for granted. The second lesson was also immediate. I took life for granted. My life was good. I always had a job. I always had a car. I always had friends. I acted, thought, and behaved like nothing bad happened to me. I just had to be me and everything in life goes my way. The world followed me. I was smart enough to be an all-star and everything I did, and I expected everyone to like me. I criticized and complained when life went another way.

3. Earn it. The third lesson continues from the second lesson. I failed to learn I must earn everything in my life: job, car, and friends were good examples. If I want something, anything in life, I must earn it.

4. Always meet new people. My life consisted of few friends for most of my life. I started to meet new people and make new friends since 2006. I realized people are important to live a good life. Spouse, friends, family, acquaintances, neighbors, co-workers, managers, students, classmates, teachers, professors, professionals, clients, advisors, networking, and anyone you have an association with are important. They help me when I'm in trouble, they spend time with me for leisure, they communicate with me from casual to professional, they help me know who I am as well as I help them know who they are, they share knowledge with me, and they know I'm a good person.

5. Get up and do something, anything. I missed out most adventures and experiences I should have done in my 20s. I needed to catch up. I created my personal motto "Get up and do something, anything" that reminds me to find a new adventure, experience new experiences, and meet new people. Sitting on a chair and watching television waiting for life to come to me is not the way I live.

What have I done to catch up what I missed? Here are some examples off the top of my head: learned ice skating, played Mahjong (Riichi), traveled to Canada, read fiction books, hiked on Angel Island, walked on the Golden Gate Bridge, rode the San Francisco cable car, ate a Ghirardelli Sundae, listened to classic jazz, dating, learned ballroom dance, played Starcraft online, attended a professional playoff sports game, visited Monterey & Carmel, attended a concert who was Paul McCartney, watched classical movies, got treatment for my acne, shaved with a razor instead of electric, wore t-shirts (not plain white shirts), drank new soft drinks, watched a movie outdoors, and snuck food inside a theater.

No comments: