Saturday, July 11, 2015

40 For 40: Pix Perry

Introduction: I start a new blog series titled "40 For 40." I share moments and experiences I lived in my 40 years. The ESPN 30 For 30 inspired me to create my 40 For 40 blogs. The sport documentary series detailed people, sport teams, moments, events, and controversial situations. The same ideas apply to my 40 For 40.

My third 40 For 40 blog is my senior year high school math teacher.


I thought about my high school teachers. Two of my teachers were the best. The rest were average at best. The two teachers were my math teachers. One of them taught Algebra I in my sophomore year and Algebra II in my junior year. The second taught Trigonometry and Pre Calculus in my senior year. I blog my senior year math teacher Mr. Pix Perry.

Perry knew his material. He could teach in a junior college. He was serious in a good way. He taught the class his way. There was no dumbing down the material. The lectures were a balance teaching college level math concepts high school students understand. He succeeded even thought class participation was low. He wanted to keep us engaged by asking questions to the students. Unfortunately, few students responded. I believe two reasons why few students responded. The first reason was my class during the second period starting at 8:50am. The second reason was two high schools merged into one high school because the second high school closed. There was little school spirit. I give Perry credit because he lectured consistently always engaging the students no matter the response. His lectures were important during Pre Calculus because there was no text book. Perry's lectures were my introduction to note taking at a college level.

I remember the longest Trigonometry assignment. Proofs. Students were given Trigonometry equations. We proved the equations equal each other; in other words, manipulate either the left side or right side of the equal sign in the equation to be exactly the same. I remember tan a = sin a / cos a. Perry spelled "sign" s-i-g-n because "sign" and "sin" sounded the same during his lectures when positives and negatives were involved. We spent four weeks learning proofs. Some days we practiced proving equations in groups with no lecture.

Perry's grading system was fair. He graded on a curve like many college level classes. Part of the final grade included keeping his green sheet named "Perry's Procedures" and his study tips. I'm confident if he had more class time, he spent the time teaching his students how to study. Many of his students including me never read his study tips or didn't take his study tips seriously.

Perry taught two Trigonometry and Pre Calculus classes. The second class was the sixth period. My sixth period class was R.O.T.C. My math classes in my freshmen, sophomore, and junior years were in the afternoons. I earned A's and B's. I earned a C in Trigonometry and a B in Pre Calculus. He said Pre Calculus was easier than Trigonometry because what we learned in Trigonometry applied to Pre Calculus. His class helped me passed the Calculus assessment at San Jose State University.

Email: feedbackininblog@innovateinfinitely.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Pix Perry was also great soccer coach. He made you work hard to get on the team, then got players in peak condition. In 1977, freshman year, we had an undefeated season and it was a great experience. Thank you, coach Perry!