Tuesday, November 01, 2016

A Lesson From My Bad Years

Everyone lives good years. Everyone lives bad years. Hindsight is twenty-twenty. Think Monday morning quarterback. Steve Jobs said, "You can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards." The past can't change. The opinions on the past can change. We better understand the past when we continue living. We wise up.

The following years are my bad years. What caused the years to be bad? What lesson did I learn? I think back my past bad years to remind myself the lessons I learned.

2002 bad year. 2002 was the opposite of 2001. I could say 2002 bad year started on 9/11. Life flow went my way in 2001. Life flow went against me in 2002. 2002 was a bad year beyond my control. I couldn't recall any highlights. I didn't remember any accomplishments. Work was hell because there was nothing happy to keep me going. Confusion and ambiguity were the best 2002 adjectives.

2002 lesson. My manager was unofficially fired. My company kept their firings quiet or concocted a legitimate reason for dismissal. She did nothing. A person has nothing, does nothing, gets nothing, be nothing, and people treats you like nothing. Never be a nobody.

2007 bad year. 2007 was an up and down roller coaster for which 2007 went downwards after May. My grandfather past away in Jan. I started to wear braces in Jan. My company went downhill again people leaving the company in Feb. I started working at Cisco in Mar. I purchased my first car in May. The rest of 2007 went down the roller coaster for which I lived like I was on vacation in my high school years.

2007 lesson. The first day I worked at Cisco I said to myself, "2007 is a good year no matter what happens afterwards." 2007 was a year I took for granted. I worked half-ass at Cisco. My gym workouts were both ineffective and inconsistent. I read a string of bad books. I didn't know why I finished reading those bad books. I experienced multiple times of fatigue. Never take life for granted.

2008 bad year. The real estate bubble popped. Work got easier because there was nothing to do. There were fewer assignments. My contract was terminated. I became lost. Who was the real Raymond Mar?

2008 lesson. I realized I must grow up on Sat Oct 4. The changes paid immediate dividends. New clothes. Read fiction books. New desktop PC. New mattress. New gym workout plans. Forgiveness. I opened up to new adventures and new experiences.

2013 bad year. Too much fun. I didn't work hard enough and long enough to learn new job skills and review existing job skills. Also, the process to review my existing job skills was incorrect.

2013 lesson. Playtime was over. It was time to be a mature adult responsible for myself. Spend less time having fun. Spend more time learning new job skills.

2014 bad year. I failed to follow my 2013 lesson in 2014. I had too much fun from Jan to Jun. I was shocked I failed an Excel test during a job interview. The worse day of my life happened in Sep when I worked at a new job doing shady tasks.

2014 lesson. I reviewed my Excel skills and my other skills the correct way by watching YouTube videos. Moreover, I have been learning new job skills primarily watching YouTube videos. For example, Tableau, Salesforce, Python, and CSS. The first lesson was always learn new job skills and always review existing job skills. Learning new skills outside my career is valid. The second lesson was saying goodbye to anything or anyone holding me back. I retired from anime because I have more important priorities. I stopped seeing some people who didn't contribute to my well-being. I stopped seeing some people I didn't contribute to their well-being.

Email: feedbackininblog@innovateinfinitely.com

No comments: