Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Find The Misinformation and Misunderstandings First

Yesterday and today, there was a problem which went out of control with management, directors, and corporate staff telling each other different stuff. I was at the center of the problem. (Trust me on the out of control. There is much more which is irrelevant to the Blog and no need to mention.)

What happened? I misunderstood information regarding a paid online subscription service for the agents. I thought all brokers have premium subscriptions paid by the company. I attempted to sign up an agent to be added to the service. It turned out the brokers have to pay for the premium subscription. The office manager emailed me I need to tell the agent when I subscribe someone to a paid service, I must inform the agent. No duh!!! If he had to pay, obviously I tell the agent. In the end, the agent refused subscription and I apologized to the agent and told him the truth I misunderstood the online service. And I never replied back to my office manager for which I have no idea who the office manger is.

The event reminded me of the movie Office Space when Peter Gibbons forgot to put new cover sheets for the T.P.S. reports. The vice president, manager, person on the telephone, and his co-workers told him he made a mistake for which Gibbons simply forgot to put the new cover sheet.

O.K. Rant time is over. On to the Innovating Common Knowledge blog ^_^

When you or someone is in an argument, disagreement, conflict, conversation turning nasty, raises voices, verbal personal attacks, giving each other the silent treatment, etc., before heading to the “I refuse to talk to him or her” attitude, find the misinformation and misunderstanding first. I believe 95% of all conflicts turning into something worst are avoidable by asking the other person or party if they understand accurately and have the correct information. Perhaps, the person wrote the wrong address by accident, missed the meeting and didn’t know the latest assignment, person gave the information had wrong information too, flight was delayed, weak cell phone signal, person who read the information misunderstood it, etc. Nobody understands everything read 100% of the time.

Its true people can use these as excuses. However, if the person is truthful, credible, and sincere, then, yes, the person wants to correct the misunderstanding and find the accurate information.

When any potential conflict is coming, activate your attitude and behavior to seek mode. Find any misunderstandings and find any misinformation from the other person or party. Ask questions. Initiate the questions and correct the misunderstandings and misinformation. As a result, you are going to be a smart person 0:-)

No comments: