Thursday, June 07, 2007

2007 Fanime Con Day Two

Fanime Con'07 Day Two: Seeking Action

I woke up at 9:00am, ate breakfast, and cosplayed as Toshiro again. Amelia got a call from Hellangel with bad news. Amelia’s Tenten cosplay was torn accidentally and Hellangel complete the cosplay after Fanime for free. Amelia could have cosplayed her Kikiyo, but she said it take too long to put the cosplay on.

There were very few Bleach cosplayers on day one. I wanted to find more today. I walked around the convention center and I met this one crossplayer who lived in Richmond at 10:30am. A crossplayer cosplays a character opposite sex of the person. A male person cosplays a female character and a female person cosplays a male character are crossplayers. I forgot the guy's name. He was really quiet. I had trouble hearing him speak. Every conversation I started, he gave short answers. It was difficult to understand him. His crossplay was Vita from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's, the anime series I'm currently watching as of the moment I type the Blog. Coincidentally, I'm thinking about cosplaying as Enforcer Chrono. -__-

The crossplayer hung out with me as I walked around taking pics of cosplayers. No problems with me; although, when people took pics of me, he nudged his way into my picture which was rude @__@ I saw BuntOfGovt, TravelinValentine's Tom and Victoria, and Minagi-chan. At 11:20am, I invited the crossplayer to come to lunch with me. He accepted.

We got takeout at Peggy Sue's. I ordered a hamburger and fries. I forgot what the crossplayer ordered. We ordered take out because I wanted to watch the Anime Music Videos (AMV) at 1pm. On our way back to the convention center, I spotted Mordyan. He was going to get lunch and watch the AMVs. I said let's meet at the line. Mordyan agreed. The crossplayer and I ate lunch near the AMV room. We said nothing. I said a few comments here and there. The crossplayer was quiet. I was having trouble getting to know him. Maybe he was nervous, scared, or didn't know what to do. He wasn't lonely because he was with other crossplayers.

The AMV line formed at 12:10pm. Mordyan arrived and the three of us waited in line. I told everyone I was going back to the hotel to get some water and adjust my cosplay. When I got back to the AMV line 10 minutes later, the crossplayer took off. Mordyan didn't know what was going on.

At 1:15pm, the AMVs started. Ultramangaia joined us and the three of us watched AMVs for three hours. For me, the AMVs were better in '07. I thought '06 sucked. I was in the minority because many people thought '06 was better and the '07 comedy was terrible. The AMV director agreed. Most of the comedy was terrible. The best comedy made the finals which were about eight. The action was great. There were 18 action AMVs finals. One of my friend's video made the finals. h-chan's comedy made the final and I voted for her comedy video. Her second AMV which was an action video also made the finals. I briefly walked away from the AMV to give my reading glasses to Ryu for the Rozen Maiden cosplay gathering at 3:30pm. Ultramangaia left the AMVs around 3:15pm because he hated drama AMVs.

Mordyan and I left the AMVs when it ended before 4:30pm. We separated. I walked around and took more cosplay pics. I was disappointed because there were fewer cosplayers for a Saturday compared to last year. What happened? I saw the award winning cosplayer Chris. He cosplayed as Skywarp from Transformers. I got a picture of myself with Shinku, my favorite character from Rozen Maiden. I saw Ritchie and his girlfriend who arrived. I forgot her name. I remembered it began with the letter "A." Ritchie planned to stay for two days. He couldn't get the days off to stay the entire con. Ritchie organized the butt racing contest which unfortunately failed because lack of participants. We talked about whether Fanime was losing the magic for an anime con and we both agreed the reason we keep attending Fanime was to hang out with our friends. Kazuko also came over to hang out for a bit. A few others came, too. I forgot who you were. I'm bad at remembering people's names and whereabouts :-< I went to the Artist Alley at 5pm to pick up my mini Toshiro ip136 made. She used clay. The Toshiro looked excellent. At 5:15pm, I went to the dealers room and said hi to Phu-Mai, the artist for Tea Club. She was out of the Large size t-shirt I wanted. Fortunately, she's going to be at Anime Expo to buy a t-shirt and a stuff panda. At 5:30pm, I met with Pockystix. Still Looking For Action

At 5:40pm, I went to Tabletop Gaming. I played Betrayal At House Of The Hill with a new person I never met, Spiritnare, Amol, mDuo13, and LastExlir. Before I played, I went to Live Programming to cancel my 8pm panel. Loktera arrived at 6pm where we chatted for a bit. Kegan_flame stopped by to stay hi at 7:28pm. She was cosplaying from Death Note. We finished the game at 7:30pm where we separated. I went back to hotel room at 7:45pm where I saw Bart Boy and the elevator he was riding was full. I forced myself inside *hee, hee*

I needed to eat dinner before the 9pm poker game with Jyun. I went to Hydration on North Second Street and purchased a take out crispy chicken bento box. I ate dinner at Tabletop Gaming. Jyun arrived at 8:45pm frantically setting up. He and his older brother, Otakuya, attended their parent's anniversary. Jyun insisted I play which I did. The volunteer permanent dealer was still in my head and I was rusty playing poker. I'm glad I played even though I was the first person eliminated in my table :-(

The second poker tournament contained lots of drama unrelated to the game. Some people complained the newbies ruined the poker mood; for example, someone went all-in with a pocket two and four. Nobody goes all-in with a two and a four. Jyun agreed with the concerns and he organized an unofficial poker tournament for the poker veterans on Sunday night. I was invited which I didn't play. The second poker tournament went much better at the finals table with all the newbies eliminated. Jyun had prizes for the top six which helped also.

I stayed at TableTop Gaming for a while. I saw Sucrose and Fructose playing Apples To Apples at 10:00pm. They invited me to play. I accepted. It was unfortunate for me during Apples To Apples, I contemplated the con and whether Fanime was losing the magic. I also thought about what was missing at Fanime for me. What was I doing wrong? What was I failing to maximize my con experience? Where was the action? Where were the cosplayers. Did I forget something? Why was I tired? So many questions I was not being myself to think straight. Was working 10 hours Monday thru Thursday worth it? Friday morning and afternoon were dead. And the registration line on Friday was short.

Stage Zero at Midnight

Some of my friends and I hung out at Stage Zero. Loktera came over with his second cosplay. mDuo13 brought Flux and some of us played. We mostly hung out and just chatted. San Jose Police were present during the entire con. There were three police officers walking with a few Fanime staff. I went back to my hotel room at 3am and I had trouble falling asleep (-,-)

No comments: