Sunday, May 13, 2012

My New Pillow

I like to sleep on my back. The past four months I have been sleeping on my side. I sleep on my back when I begin to sleep. I toss and turn two or three times before I fall asleep. I wake up on my side. Action must be taken to remedy the problem. I choose to buy a new pillow.

My old pillow was a Grand Horizon Back/Stomach Sleeper from The Seasons Collection. I purchased the queen size pillow at Bed Bath & Beyond for $80 on August 2011. I continued to sleep on my back the rest of 2011 using the Grand Horizon and another pillow below. The Grand Horizon is in good condition. I need more support to prevent tossing and turning. I need a pillow to stabilize my body.

I visited Sleep Train yesterday, the company I purchased my new mattress in Dec 2008. Sleep Train sells high end pillows I didn’t find at Bed Bath & Beyond. I entered the store with my girl. We were greeted with an employee. I told him I’m shopping for a new pillow. I explained I want to sleep on my back instead of my side.

The first question he asked was what mattress do I sleep on. The reason he asked was because he wanted to replicate my sleeping environment. I explained my mattress and he guessed what mattress I sleep on. He directed me to the mattress. His guess was pretty good.

The next questions were health related. Do I snore? My answers was no. Do I have sleep apnea? No. Do I have back pain? No. Do I have upper or lower back pain? No. The employee brought two pillows to try. I provided feedback on the two pillows. I told the employee I purchased my mattress at another Sleep Train. The employee said, “Let me look up your purchase in the database so you can test the pillows on an accurate mattress that matches yours at home.”

The employee directed me to another mattress which was very accurate to my mattress at home. I tried the same two pillows and gave him feedback. I reiterated my expectations I wanted to sleep on my back. The employee asked do I get hot or cold when I sleep? I get hot; in other words, I prefer a cool sleeping environment. I asked him, “Do you have a pillow that has more stability and less firmness? I wanted to try a pillow between the initial two pillows. The employee came back with three more pillows.

The first pillow was, if I remember correctly, made of cotton. I needed two seconds to reject it. The second pillow was a Tempur-Pedic. I liked it and it had potential. The third pillow was made out of latex. I liked it and it had potential. The difference between the Tempur-Pedic and the latex was temperature. The Tempur-Pedic was warmer and the latex was cooler. Another difference was the latex has a bouncy feel. Both pillows raised my head at almost exact heights. The employee said these pillows raise my head so I can breathe easier.

The employee gave me additional time to test the Tempur-Pedic and latex while he assisted other customers. I continued testing both pillows. I choose the Tempur-Pedic because the pillow provided better stabilization. We conversed one last time talking about how pillows need to be replaced every six months. I asked why because I never heard of pillows needing replacement; the cost is expensive replacing pillows, especially a Tempur-Pedic. The employee replied cheap pillows in the $30 range should be replaced every six months. Pillows are worn out faster. Furthermore, people who have health problems such as back and neck, pain around the body, and/or sleep problems should think about getting a new mattress and a new pillow, or at the minimum a new pillow. Save you money paying the doctor or chiropractor. These people should consider fixing their sleeping arrangements. Mattresses and pillows don’t last forever.

Pillows Are Complicated

We think a pillow is just a pillow. I could have purchased a pillow at Target, Wal-Mart, Kohl’s, or even a cheap store. A pillow is not just a pillow. Shopping at Sleep Train is another example specialty stores provide information and advice a common person probably doesn’t know. There are criteria involved to choose the perfect pillow including hot or cold, durability such as number of months before replacement, the head’s height and angle, and different materials. I never knew pillows can be made from latex. My pillow knowledge before buying at Sleep Train was one type of pillow for back/stomach sleepers and a second type for side sleepers, and Tempur-Pedic brand. A pillow (and a mattress) are like a car. A car has an end life in terms of miles driven. A pillow (and a mattress) have an end life in terms of hours slept.

The employee said there is a six week breaking in the pillow. There is a new pillow foam smell. He recommended I bend and fold the pillow before I sleep to assist in breaking in. I purchased a pillow protector for $20. The cotton made protector is waterproof, provides a cooler surface, and prevents dust mites. The Tempur-Pedic has a three year warranty and the pillow protector has a five year warranty. Sleep Train has a 100 day return policy. The pillow protector has an added protection in case I want to return the pillow in near new condition. I sleep on my new pillow about two hours after I posted the blog.

Side note: I shared my experience buying my new mattress. Click here to read "My New Mattress".

The Personal Side Of Me Finding Raymond Mar

No comments: