Sunday, May 06, 2012

Evaluate Your Life Daily

The National Basketball Association (NBA) officials are reviewed for each game they officiate. Every call is evaluated and graded by a third-party observer employed by the NBA. Each observer watches film prior to the game to understand their officials’ style of game calling and past performance. The observer often talks with the officials after the game to evaluate and analysis their performances.

My performance review was yearly when I worked at Colliers. The office manager assessed my performance, assigned me goals, addressed criticisms, and suggested improvements. The entire staff and I took the performance reviews lighthearted. We listened to the office manager, agreed on everything spoken, and signed off. It was business as usual the next day.

I don’t believe in yearly evaluation and reviews. I believe everyone should evaluate and assess daily. I believe everyone should observe and be self-conscious all of our actions, behaviors, attitudes, performances, knowledge, and wisdom every day. The evaluation applies 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The evaluation is anywhere and anytime regardless of working at a job, attending school, or staying at home. Be aware of yourself. Find something, anything that needs improvement, change, and innovation. Don’t wait for New Year’s Day, next month, or your birthday. Do it immediately.

Managers should evaluate their workers daily, not yearly. Don’t wait for an error to be addressed at the yearly performance review. Address the problem now, think of solutions, and fix it. I believe workers should evaluate managers, too. Strong management is important for worker satisfaction. Workers concern on management weakness should be corrected immediately.

I agree with the NBA’s policy on evaluating and reviewing officials every day. There is no delay on correcting errors and improving their officiating. I remember the days after Sat Oct 4, 2008 when I realized I must grow up. The changes were immediate. I purchased new clothes, started to read fiction books, improved my gym workouts, and created a new blog. There were more changes months afterwards.

The Personal Side Of Me Finding Raymond Mar

No comments: