Monday, July 29, 2013

Top Ten Things That Influenced My Life

There are things that change our lives for the better. How is life today without cars, the air conditioner, coffee, tools, the printing press, sanitation and sewerage system, and, of course, computers and electricity? We have our own personal things that made our lives better, helped us moved forward, taught us life lessons, and experienced new experiences.

I want to thank my mom and dad for helping me make costumes for anime conventions. My costumes save me from quitting anime. I have another activity at anime conventions wearing costumes of my favorite characters. I meet new people at costume gatherings. And I experience a little bit of sewing. Anime costumes are part of being an anime fan which is number three in the top ten.

I exclude anything technology. Adding technology is too easy. There are many technological things I can create a separate top ten list. These include cell phones, digital cameras, my webpage, my blogs, social networking, eBay, mp3, my Gaming PC, my laptops, online chatting, texting, video games, and software programs. I believe there are better non-technological things that influence a person. My top ten list is a good example. Here are the top ten:

10. Financial Education. My ex co-worker introduced me to Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. The book influenced me to learn financial education beyond the college textbooks and common financial knowledge heard in the media. I highly recommend reading the book to learn the real reason why the rich people are rich.

9. The Settlers Of Catan. I remembered playing the board game for the first time in 2007. Settlers introduced me to a new genre of board games. These board games are much better than the household games including Monopoly, UNO, Cranium, Apples To Apples, Scattergories, and various trivia games. I regained interest in board games after playing Settlers for the first time.

8. Cooking. I'm ready to move out. I still have lots to learn and new meals to cook. I'm enthusiastic to expand my cooking skills and knowledge.

Eating new foods is included in number eight.

7. My First Car. Yup, I'm ready to move out. I purchased my first car in 2007. The new adventures, new sights, new places, vacations, and helping my friends are reality with my own car. I'm responsible to change the oil myself every 5,000 miles.

6. The Classics. There are several going back-in-time that helped me live my life in good times and bad. They include, with examples, the following:

*Movies. Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, Gone With The Wind, Casablanca, and Ben Hur.
*Classical Music. Mozart, Beethoven, and Tchaikovsky.
*Classical Jazz. Bill Evans, Nat King Cole, Billie Holliday, Charles Mingus, and Stan Getz.
*Classic Rock. The Beatles . . .
*Board Games. Chess, Cribbage, and Liar's Dice.
*Books. The Old Man And The Sea, To Kill A Mockingbird, and Where The Red Fern Grows.

5. De Anza College. I went back to school to earn an AA degree in Accounting after my contract was terminated at Cisco. It was an opportunity to learn accounting and to relive my life as a college student when I attended San Jose State. I wanted to experience the college life I missed.

Ballroom dancing classes and a strength development class that helped me create new workouts at the gym are included in number five. I thank my sister for introducing me to ballroom dancing.

4. Mahjong (Riichi). Mahjong deserves its own placement instead of being combined with The Settlers Of Catan and The Classics. I started and quit Mahjong in 2007. A friend challenged me to re-learn Mahjong in 2009. I continue to play while improving my game. I see myself playing Mahjong in my old days because it's a social game that requires thinking.

3. Anime. Japanese cartoons are entertainment that satisfied me such that American entertainment failed. Anime conventions, wearing costumes, and meeting new people are included. Almost all of my friends are anime fans. The number one reason why we have hobbies is to meet new people.

2. Dress For Success. The Raymond Mar who dressed without care is gone. Polo shirts, briefs, black boots, and plain white t-shirts are gone. I have t-shirts from Woot and Threadless. I'm wearing jeans and sport shirts. I wear appropriate hiking clothes for hiking and gym clothes for working out at the gym. And I shave with a razor instead of electric.

I dress for success. I dress for the occasion.

1. Fiction Books. I read my first fiction book in 2008 since I don't know when. I learn more about life reading fiction books compared to non-fiction books. Today I read about 85% fiction and 15% non-fiction.

No comments: