Sunday, March 23, 2014

Work Mar 23, 2014

Mon Mar 10 was the first day I drove home in daylight. Daylight Savings Time began on Sun Mar 9. A new hire started today. He works shipping and receiving in the back-end.

There was a tiny fire at the dumpster on Tue Mar 11. One co-worker tossed his cigarette in the dumpster. One of the employees quit after working for two weeks. She was a part-timer who has a full-time job. There were two sides to the story. The employee said she agreed to work Wed-Fri. The owner said she must work a Sat or Sun. She couldn't work Sat and Sun. She choose her full-time because it pays more.

My manager told me some regular customers who live closer to our second store prefer to shop at the first store. The discussion happened on Wed Mar 12. The top reason was the owner and the managers know the regular customers and treat them well. The second store's customer service was terrible. I didn't tell my manager my opinions. First, the second store has been open for over two months. Give it more time. Second, it's retail. Retail workers are paid low wages. Why should we care? Why should we give the extra effort?

I found out another co-worker quit. He has been working part-time which explained why I rarely see him for weeks. The end of the day I had a conversation with the part-time data entry/bookkeeper. She told me she traveled to many countries including France, Italy, Canada, Hong Kong, Brazil, and Egypt.

I was informed I work at the second store on Wed and Fri starting on Wed Mar 19. I told the co-owner my opinion on working at the second store two days a week. I said I should work on Tue and Fri. He discussed my opinion with the other co-owner.

The second store was busy for most of Fri Mar 14. I was busy, too. The short-handed staff affected both stores. A co-worker has been splitting his daily shift working in both stores. He hated it. Another co-worker told me there was a pattern for the tasting events. First, most attendees are walk-ins. We get low pre-registration counts. Second, most attendees leave the store after the event is over. They don't buy wines. The same co-worker was angry at the co-owner because the co-owner moved the set-ups from the patio to the inside. He closed the patio doors. And I ate my last lunch at McDonalds for a long time.

A customer showed me an app to help me track the wines I tasted. The name of the app is Vivino. I have been using the app to help with my work.

The new hires continue. One front-end worker started on Mon Mar 17. The store was dead on St. Patrick's Day. The commute was easy. We hired two more front-end workers and a part-time Data Entry/Bookkeeper who all started on Tue Mar 18.

My first Wed shift at the second store happened on Wed Mar 19. I was busy because we received products which were all new. The second store started selling furniture on consignment.

There was unnecessary early morning chaos. The short answer was miscommunication and misinformation. Too many emails were exchanged. I calmed down, refocused, and reassessed after the chaos ended. The rest of the day went well.

The two co-workers and I were walking to our cars after we closed the store. My manager called me five feet from my front door. He said my Thur Mar 20 shift is at the second store. The two co-workers were glad to hear the news.

We were short-handed on Fri Mar 21. Two workers called in sick. Happy spring everyone. The owner and the staff watched the Duke upset by Mercer. I found out the first store handled tasting pre-registrations for the second store. The second store is not responsible for the RSVPs and pre-registrations. The tasting attendance was 50% less than Fri Mar 14. I tasted wines after my shift was over. I used Vivino to track the Italian wines I tasted. One of my co-workers told me another classical music station. He said 97.9 FM KMZT. I helped close the store.

No comments: