Saturday, March 08, 2014

Work Mar 8, 2014

I clocked-in at 10:15am on Mon Feb 24. I think my internal clock was too slow. Maybe I count the seconds faster. I was 99% caught up because the owners were coming home after a weekend business trip. The entire store was quiet. There were no new emails. I was physically tired at the end of the day. No gym after work. Mentally, emotionally, and spiritually were good. I went to bed early.

Wed Feb 26 was my second time I drove to work in the rain. I experienced a serve case of dermatitis on my hands. I used hand sanitizer to clean my hands instead of the soap in the bathrooms. The shipping clerk caught a case of wine missing a bottle. My manager refused the case. He told me buyers or consumers have the right to refuse products and services.

The last half hour of my shift I experienced no work for the first time. I stood up and walked around the cramped office to move around and avoid boredom.

The entire Thur Feb 27 was busy as the store prepared for a German wine tasting.

One of my co-workers was given his performance review by the two co-owners at the second store on Fri Feb 28. One of his highlights was his good ideas such as transferring overstock wines to our warehouse. The store received lots of cases because there were no deliveries earlier in the week. Today was catch up for the vendors.

Today was the first time I experienced the common working attitude, "I don't want to go to work today" on Mon Mar 3. I had a bad attitude. Regardless, I was professional. I got the job done. The morning shift was quiet. I listened to a podcast in my car for the first time driving home.

The morning was busy on Tue Mar 4. There were too many phone calls. The first call I handled was a customer picking up his wines. I went to the stock room to confirm the order was ready to pick up. I learned how to log a customer pick-up on the list. The second call I handled was a caller in New York who wanted in-store picking up. The customer thought we could deliver her order to another "liquor store". Our start-up retail store sells artisan wines.

Today was the first day the second store opened on a Tue. The store was short-handed. The two part-time workers didn't show up. One called in sick. The second went AWOL. The owner sent a worker's shift from the first store to the second store. Both stores were short-handed.

I purchased my first bottle of wine. It was a Raymond Cabernet Sauvignon "Generations" 2009. The wine was #89 in Wine Spectator's Top 100 Wines Of 2013.

A co-worker came back from her vacation on Wed Mar 5. We're no longer short-handed on the back-end. Good news. The store experienced Wi-Fi problems. Bad news.

"Ridiculous frustration" were the two words I described Fri Mar 7 at both locations. Confusion, wrong deliveries, owner being sick, lack of communication, and worker injuries plagued the entire day. The end of the day ended on a happier note. The last hour of the store was busy with lots of customers. I drank white wine for the first time. Finally, a co-worker is leaving on Sat May 8. And a co-worker found a job in a restaurant paying double wages with benefits and Sunday's off.

No comments: