Saturday, March 22, 2014

SOMT: Supermarkets Grocery Stores From The 1980s

Blogger’s Note: SOMT stands for Sign Of My Times, an occasional blog sharing my thoughts how time changes life from when I was young to today.

I shopped at Lunardi's grocery store for the first time on Fri Mar 21, 2014. I purchased a deli sandwich, bottle water, and a bag of potato chips. I walked around the store carrying my sandwich to get my bottle water and potato chips. The store reminded me of grocery stores during my childhood.

Lunardi's is a traditional supermarket in my book from the 1980s. There is a full service delicatessen, bakery, and meat. Most aisles sell food, drinks, ingredients for baking, spices, cereals, dairy, wines & spirits, candy . . . items from yesterday's traditional grocery stores. There are aisles selling limited items traditionally found in a drug store, automobile store, and a hardware store.

Lunardi's doesn't have a pharmacy, bank, ATM, gas station, seafood department, fresh coffee kiosk, DVD rental vending machine, and Chinese take-out. Lunardi's doesn't sell specialty nuts, flowers, greeting cards, DVDs, and gift cards.

I believe Lunardi's business model is being a traditionally grocery store. I approve. Their full service departments are much better than the big name mega supermarkets. Their deli meats are fresher and tasted better. I ate a cookie from their bakery. It tasted like the cookies were made from brand name ingredients. Lunardi's prices are more expensive. The quality and value are worth the extra couple of dollars.

I miss the grocery stores in the 1980s. I'm happy Lunardi's is walking distance from my workplace. I shop at grocery stores to buy groceries. I shop at a drug store to buy drugs. I shop at an automobile store to buy motor oil. I shop at a hardware store to buy tools. I'm looking forward to shop at Lunardi's soon.

No comments: