Saturday, September 06, 2014

Work Sat Sep 6, 2014

Sun Aug 24 was my first Sun shift at the Mountain View store. The bad attitude manager told me to work at the back end. The back end was quiet. I was productive. I talked to a co-worker. He was tired, angry, and stressed because the store was busy. Sundays are usually dead. Not today.

I work up the earliest in months on Tue Aug 26. I still arrived late. One of the spice racks broke spilling bottles. Fortunately, one bottle was broken. I worked the front end for two hours.

I entered Coronas, Michelob, and Sierra Nevada Pale beers in the database. The good manager special ordered the non-artisan beers for one of his customers. I experienced trouble entering the beers because I misread the quantity for the Coronas. I looked at the cases the first time. The invoice was incorrect. I looked at the cases the second time. The invoice was correct. The angle looking at the cases deceived me. I didn't see the additional cases next to the cases I saw initially.

I encountered green lights and green lights turning yellow on the street before the freeway entrance driving home.

There was a Wed Aug 27 wine tasting. Turnout was high. The owner organized a meeting which was short. Wow. I moved my car out of the parking lot. I ate lunch at the taco truck after parking my car on the street.

I took my car to get my tires rotated and balanced before work. The wait was short at the tire shop. I was their first customer for the day. There were too many cars on the streets and freeway after leaving the tire shop.

The bad attitude manager removed my name on my work assigned laptop on Fri Aug 29. Two new hires started today. One of the two was my replacement. I trained him. It seemed the store was making changes. New cleaning supplies were purchased. Our weekly janitor scrubbed the bathroom floors. How long are those changes keeping the store cleaner going to last after I leave the company? I expect a short period.

I delivered a paycheck to a co-worker at the second store after my shift ended as a favor.

The second store was the usual on Sat Aug 30. Turnout for the tasting was okay. The manager told me to go home 30 minutes early.

I continued training my replacement at the first store on Sun Aug 31. The new hire told me how he was hired. The interview process started the first week of Aug after he found the job posting. Interesting. I submitted my two week notice weeks after the first week of Aug. The new hire is an employee at the second store like me. Which data entry worker was going to be fired?

Tue Sep 2. A part time worker with French wine knowledge quit. I wasn't surprised. She planned to quit. It was a matter of when.

The owner showed up when the store opened on Wed Sep 3. Why? The store was short handed. She helped customers. I avoided her.

I learned more about the company's history when I talked to the assistant manger during lunch. The history and information included when the store opened, the longest tenured employees, and how the second store co-owners met. The assistant manager couldn't verify all the information because she learned by picking up bits of information here and there like me during my ten months on the job. Regardless, the back story and history were interesting. The history lesson happened on Thur Sep 4.

The inventory clerk shared a response from a customer when he carried cases of wine to his car. The customer said, "I'm alive and I'm here".

Fri Sep 5 was my last day. I emailed the entire company a thank you email with my contact information. The store was busy. It was a full house for the tasting. The part time data entry came back from her vacation. She brought snacks for everyone. My last invoice and my last wines I priced were Pinot Noir and Syrah from Melville. My entire day was easy with multiple blocks of free time. I checked my Twitter and updated my apps on my phone.

Goodbye Artisan. New experiences, new knowledge, and new people are coming next week. Earn them. Take nothing for granted. There is no time to relax Sat Sep 6 and Sun Sep 7. I use the weekend to catch up odds and ends, change the oil in my car, and purchase new shoes.

Email: feedbackininblog@innovateinfinitely.com

No comments: