Saturday, November 24, 2018

Common Knowledge Is Not Common

If there is a book on all of the knowledge in the world, the length and width are bigger than China and Russia and the height breaks the atmosphere. There are also volumes in the millions--perhaps, billions. Does everyone know how to perform medical surgery? Does everyone know how to change a car's tire? Does everyone know how to fly an airplane? Does everyone know ancient history in the BC years?

We react shockingly when someone doesn't know common knowledge such as Tom Hanks is an actor, LeBron James is a professional basketball player, oxygen is in water, CPU stands for computer processing unit in a computer, paper comes from trees, the north-east-south-west directions, and Thomas Jefferson was never a President naturally. Call it trivia. Call it knowledge. Call it professional skills. Nobody knows everything. Common knowledge may be common from one person's perspective. Common knowledge may not be common from another person's perspective. It's a judgment call. We should never be shocked when someone doesn't know Easter holiday celebrates the return of Jesus from the dead, Lima is the capital of Peru, and zero is an even number. We're really not stupid. There is too much knowledge.

Update On A Past Blog

I listen to podcasts. Car Talk is one of my four first podcasts. I started listening on Mon Feb 23, 2015 at my workplace Work Sat Mar 7, 2015. I'm retiring Car Talk. Car Talk has been airing reruns. I'm listening to reruns I listened in the past. I assure the reader I'm listening to reruns for the second time because I have an above average long-term memory. Thank you Car Talk!

The three of my four first podcasts are Sex With Emily, Awesome Etiquette, and Freakonomics. I started listening to Awesome Etiquette on episode one.

Email: feedbackininblog@innovateinfinitely.com

No comments: