Monday, November 04, 2019

Bruce Lee Was The Man Revisited

I watched the movie Enter The Dragon in its entirety for the first time. Good movie. I watched the ending scenes only when I was a child. Watching the movie made me remember a past blog titled Bruce Lee Is The Man on Oct 8, 2010. I admit I made a grammar error. Bruce Lee died on July 20, 1973. The correct title is Bruce Lee Was The Man. Today's blog is an update on a past blog.

Update On A Past Blog

I share more Bruce Lee wisdom. I posted a past blog matching Lee's wisdom Bruce Lee [Was] The Man on Oct 8, 2010 and my wisdom from my top 30 blogs 300 written on Dec 7, 2008. The addition wisdom comes from the movie Enter The Dragon where Bruce Lee played the character Lee.

Old Man: . . . What is the highest technique you hope to achieve?
Lee: To have no technique.
Old Man: Very good. What are your thoughts when facing an opponent?
Lee: There is no opponent.
Old Man: And why is that?
Lee: Because the word "I" does not exist.
Old Man: So, continue . . .
Lee: A good fight should be like a small play, but played seriously. A good martial artist does not become tense, but ready. Not thinking, yet not dreaming. Ready for whatever may come. When the opponent expands, I contract. When he contracts, I expand. And when there is an opportunity, I do not hit. It hits all by itself.
Old Man: Now, you must remember: the enemy has only images and illusions behind which he hides his true motives. Destroy the image and you will break the enemy. The "it" that you refer to is a powerful weapon easily misused by the martial artist who deserts his vows. For centuries now, the code of the Shaolin Temple has been preserved. Remember, the honor of our brotherhood has been held true. Tell me now the Shaolin Commandment number 13.
Lee: A martial artist has to take responsibility for himself and accept the consequences of his own doing.

Lee: [Lao approaches Lee; both bow] Kick me.
[Lao looks confused]
Lee: Kick me.
[Lao attempts kick]
Lee: What was that? An Exhibition? We need emotional content. Now try again.
[Lao tries again]
Lee: I said "emotional content." Not anger. Now try again.
[Lao tries again and succeeds]
Lee: That's it. How did it feel?
Lao: Let me think . . .
[Lee smacks his head]
Lee: Don't think. FEEL! It's like a finger pointing away to the moon.
[Lee looks at Lao, who is looking at the finger; Lee smacks him again]
Lee: Do not concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of the heavenly glory!

[Oharra throws a board in the air and smashes it with his fist]
Lee: [smiles] Boards don't hit back.

Old Man: [voiceover] Remember: the enemy has only images and illusions behind which he hides his true motives. Destroy the image and you will break the enemy.

Parsons: What's your style?
Lee: My style? You can call it the art of fighting without fighting.
Parsons: The art of fighting without fighting? Show me some of it.
Lee: Later.
. . .
*Lee tricks Parsons to board a small boat to be towed by the bigger boat.*

Roper: Like you said, there's a point I won't go beyond.

No comments: