Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Power Outage For 14 Hours

A power outage started on Tue Jan 10, 2023 at 2:30am in the West San Jose area. Power was restored in my neighborhood at 4:30pm totaling 14 hours. The bomb cyclone-driven rains driven by multiple atmospheric rivers arrived in CA since Fri Dec 30, 2022.

I didn't get mad there was no electricity for most of the day. I was glad. I was upbeat. No electricity. No internet. No computer. No TV. I could have used my cell phone to access the internet. I used the cell phone to access PG&E's power outage map only. Otherwise, my cell phone was for emergency use only. The household listened to the emergency radio for the first time in a weather related emergency and the second time overall. Both uses were power outage related. The radio was off most of the day. The news was the same throughout the day including power outage locations, traffic accidents, weather updates, property damages, and injuries.

I read Orange Is The New Black by Piper Kerman book. I practiced rope knots as a life skill. I ate a granola bar, a nut bar, cereal, and a Belvita. The household kept the refrigerator closed throughout the day. I remained calm. I minimized expending my calories. My parents spent the day not involving computers and TVs.

I went back to my normal daily routine after 4:30pm. The refrigerator kept all foods cold. I reset clocks plugged in to the electricity outlets. I job searched. I ate an early dinner. I trained in Python which was today's job skill. I wrote today's blog. The weather forecast is more atmospheric rivers continuing to next week.

14 hours is the longest power outage I experienced. The last time a multiple hour power outage related to heavy rains and strong winds I was in second grade in my grandparent's house.

No comments: