Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Two Pathetic Companies I Used To Work

"I say Microsoft and Google have a lot in common. Microsoft never had the humanities and the liberal arts in their DNA. It was a pure technology company. And they just didn't get it. Even when they saw the map, they couldn't even copy it well. How dumb do you have to be to not see it--once you see it, you know. But Google is the same way. They just don't get it." --Steve Jobs, 60 Minutes Overtime

A Steve Jobs quote inspired me to write today's blog on two companies I used to work. One can say I should have spoken up the companies were screwing up themselves. Fair statement. I was naive when I worked at the commercial real estate company. I didn't have the wisdom, creditability, impact, and courage to call out management. I didn't have the influence, power, and persuasion to call out ownership at the retail start-up company.

The commercial real estate company had the technology, the strong support staff, the training, the highest number of brokers, and the facilities to be the number one in total leases and sales in the region. The company was number one once during my eight years in year 2000--too easy during the dot com economy. Otherwise, the company was number two or number three. Management just didn't get it.

The retail start-up sold premium wine, beer, and sake at discount prices at its brick & mortar store and online store. The business was a great idea. Their products were not found in supermarket chains. Ownership purchased wine, beer, and sake in bulk. The savings were passed to the customers. Tastings were held on Fridays, Saturdays, or Sundays to attract customers. The location was perfect in upper middle class and high class neighborhoods. The start-up was in business between 2014 and 2020. Ownership just didn't get it.

Update On A Past Blog

Blogger changed public access to two of my blogs posted at their website. I recognize Google's content policies.

The The Green Steno Notebook 5 blog written on Feb 9, 2020 can be read by logging on to a Google account. The blog can be read at my website Innovate Infinitely Blogs. Select 2020 for the year. Select Feb for the month. Press the Go button. Scroll down to Sunday February 9, 2020.

The Five Minute Management Course blog written on Jan 12, 2010 is no longer published at Blogger. The blog can be read at my website Innovate Infinitely Blogs. Select 2010 for the year. Select Jan for the month. Press the Go button. Scroll down to Jan 12, 2010 written as 01/12/2010.

No comments: