Friday, August 28, 2009

The First Day Of College

The last blog "I Saw A Pinto And The First Day Of School" inspired me for this blog entry. I mentioned times have changed in school including students responsible for school supplies and seeing parents supporting their kids through action by being with them shopping for school supplies.

Thur Aug 27 Dear Abby column talked about college students living in dorms or living at home. I attended San Jose State University (SJSU). SJSU was and is considered a commuter school. Most students arrive SJSU, attend classes, and leave SJSU. I lived 20 minutes away driving on streets and traffic-less freeway. I was spoiled in terms of low cost college tuition.

One response mentioned commuter students can experience loneliness and depression because they're detached from campus life. I was one of them. I was one of the best examples of commuter students. I drove to SJSU, attended classes, and took off home. I didn't make new friends on campus. I don't even have any SJSU friends I keep in touch today. I participated in the Student California Teachers' Association. There was even an anime club during my final semesters. Why didn't I join? I just didn't.

After the teachers association, I worked part time as a tutor and at Blockbuster Video during my second half at SJSU. I did something outside my classes throughout SJSU. However, I could have used my free time more wisely such as doing something, anything that really interested me on campus to meet new people. Unfortunately, being a slow learner hindered most of my free time. I could have been more focused if I exercised properly and ate breakfast.

Anyway, going to college to earn your degree is important. I believe meeting new people, seeking new interests, finding who you are, and experiencing new experiences are more important than the piece of paper. I'm attending De Anza college in Fall'09, a junior college and a commuter college. There's not much campus life in the small campus; however, I correct the mistake of failing to meet new people. Good luck to all the students from kindergarten to college for a successful 2009-2010 school year!

I'm growing up Finding Raymond Mar

No comments: