Friday, February 26, 2010

De Anza Week Feb 22, 2010

Mon Feb 22, 2010

I crammed my Payroll mid-term Sat and Sun. The mid-term was open book; however, I read the chapters to understand where the concepts are in the book. Knowing where the concepts are located help me look up information to answer the multiple choice. I used Excel to learn and understand how to complete the problems. Open book mid-terms are useless to solve the written problems. Excel helped me apply formulas and save time from hand writing.

The cramming made me sleepy Sun night I woke up at 10:30am Monday. I arrived at 12:25pm in time for my Acct 1B class. The instructor forgot her PowerPoint lecture she downloaded them. My project classmates gave me a cupcake. "Who's birthday is it?"

Speaking of the project, I found more information. The project consists of problems in the textbook. Each problem must be solved by each person. For example, for problem #1, all three of us must answer problem #1 together and handwritten. We must meet, share our solved problems, and write the solutions on a master sheet.

We got our second mid-terms. I got an A. 35% of the class "did a bad job." I anticipate more students drop on Wednesday. The second mid-term was a surprise because most of the questions including the written portion were straight from the homework.

Since I got sick on Mon Feb 15, I lost interest in school. Being sick made me fall behind. Fortunately going with the flow kept my sanity. I continue to push forward.

I continued cramming between Acct 1B and Payroll. I scanned the chapters to memorize where the concepts are. I reviewed the problems in Excel. I took the mid-term. It's similar to the first mid-term. The problems were straight for the homework. Hopefully I did the problem in Excel correctly because I did exactly the same way I solved the problem on the mid-term. The multiple choice was time consuming because I looked up the answers to most of the questions. There were some questions one must look up because it's not worth memorizing the different tax forms.

Tue Feb 23, 2010

The instructor's voice was still weak. She sang minimally and ended class early. She didn't feel well. The warm ups were brief and we sang a few songs together.

I didn't feel like singing. I still had the allergies and sickness from last week. Other students experienced similar symptoms when they sang.

I asked the instructor a question how singers handle sickness such as mucus, stuffy noses, and sore throats. Her answer was the singers cancel their performances. Singers wear scarves to keep their throats warm. On the other hand, rock bands singers depend on microphones to sing well. One student went to a Placido Domingo concert. He sat on second level. He heard Domingo's voice and his voice from the speakers. There's no way a rocker's voice is strong as Domingo's voice.

Wed Feb 24, 2010

I had trouble waking up early. I went to bed at 1am and I wanted to wake up at 7:15am. Nope. I woke up at 9:30am. I finished a homework assignment for Acct 1B. I didn't eat breakfast. I arrived at 11:30am, submitted my Peachtree homework, and ate lunch in the campus center.

Acct 1B Chap 16 quiz was delayed to Monday. The instructor covered lots of material. And the class had the fewest students in attendance. I'm sure some students dropped for respectable reasons such as working full time and spending little time studying. Even though I got A's for my first two-mid-terms, my opinion is she's a below average instructor.

In dance class, we reviewed the West Coast Swing. I think the instructor spend more time on the West Coast Swing as we get closer to our performance. Then we reviewed the Cha Cha Cha. The rest of the class we danced the Waltz. We learned a new move that is new to me. I don't know the name. It's a zig zag pattern. I forgot the promenade. Most of the female students are having trouble dancing the Waltz.

I talked to a student who is a De Anza student counselor. I asked questions regarding transferring and she gave me useful information. She takes the class for recreation.

Follow Up. I mentioned in The State Of My Life blog I wanted to finish my car maintenance. I looked up my car maintenance records. The tire rotation, tire balance, and alignment check should have been completed in April or May, not February. I was too early. Perhaps, it's a good idea I completed the three early. And I have a concern with the driver side front tire. It needed additional air when I checked the tires. I keep an eye on that tire.

I Continue To Find Myself Finding Raymond Mar

No comments: