Friday, April 15, 2011

De Anza Week Apr 11, 2011

Mon Apr 11

My Auditing professor hinted there’s going to be negative changes for the Fall ’11 quarter at De Anza in terms of classes, staff, instructors, and student support. Timing has been in my favor since I started taking accounting classes in Fall ’09. I submitted my application for my AA degree last quarter. The classes I’m taking in Spring ’11 are for personal learning.

I talked to one of my classmates. He has a masters degree in civil engineering and works part time. I asked him why he’s taking accounting classes. He said he wants to earn a CPA.

I went home after class to eat lunch and rest. I arrived at De Anza in time for Advanced Accounting. I missed last Wed’s class because I had the stomach flu. I missed the extra credit opportunities and the first in class assignment. I experience those on Wed’s class.

Tonight’s lecture was my worse lecture I sat. It wasn’t the most boring which went to Intro to Business in Winter ’11. My Advanced Accounting professor couldn’t teach to save his life. I considered dropping the class and go back to my original plan. My original plan was taking Intermediate Accounting and Introduction to Business at De Anza and Quickbooks at Mission in Winter ’11. In Spring ’11, I take Auditing and continue Quickbooks. The month of June I have Auditing only.

I didn’t want to make the same mistake twice with Advanced Accounting. The mistake was continuing taking Beginning Singing in Winter ’10 which didn’t meet my expectations and I should have dropped. Moreover, I dropped Japanese because the instructor went too fast. I wanted to attend Wednesday’s class because I want to experience the extra credit opportunities. Sat Apr 16 is the last day to drop and receive a refund.

Tue Apr 12

The signal lights were in my favor as I drove to Mission College late. The instructor was writing the homework assignment as I entered the classroom. I received my take home mid-term. I received a 97%. Tonight’s lecture was another kickback standard lecture such that I followed the instructor and completed next week’s homework assignment.

The instructor passed out the solution to the take home mid-term that included the trial balance and journal entries.

Wed Apr 13

The Auditing professor was slow and unfocused during the lecture. He came to the classroom and took a long time settling in. He went into many tangents most of his lecture. We reviewed auditing CPA questions.

I talked to another classmate who graduated with California State University-East Bay last quarter. She earned a bachelors degree in accounting-finance. She wanted to take additional accounting classes. Obviously she takes the classes at De Anza instead of CSU-East Bay because De Anza is cheaper. She chose Auditing and considered Advanced Accounting. I told her I thought about dropping Advanced Accounting. She replied saying she’s not going to add Advanced Accounting. She said CSU-East Bay teaches Auditing for one quarter. The Auditing professor said De Anza is one of the very few colleges teaching Auditing for one quarter. My classmate says CSU-East Bay teaches Auditing for one quarter only.

I attended Advanced Accounting to experience the extra credit movie and clicker questions. The lecture was terrible. The professor can’t teach. The professor showed the extra credit movie after the break. The extra credit movies were related to accounting and business. We completed the in class assignment after the movie.

Finally, we played the clicker game. The professor has hardware from www.iclicker.com. The students were divided into teams of three. Each team had a clicker connected to his laptop. Each clicker has buttons A-D and power on/off. The professor displayed a question on the projector and the team answered the question pressing A, B, C, or D. The team with the most corrected answers receives extra credit points. Each student who participates receives extra credit points. My team placed first. They did all the work and I thank them for covering me.

The extra credit points are micropoints. Students received a small piece of paper. The students must write his or her name and tonight’s date on the back to claim the extra credit micropoint ticket. I don’t know the micropoint conversion into extra credit. My guess is the top students with the most micropoints receive extra credit towards their final grade.

The probability was high I drop Advanced Accounting after tonight’s class meeting.

I walked to the Visual and Performance Arts building to visit my social dance class. I talked to a few classmates and friends after class was over. The Wednesday’s night intermediate class dance demonstration is the Hustle. I danced with one of my friends after class while learning quickly the routine.

The Personal Side Of Me Finding Raymond Mar

No comments: