Monday, April 25, 2011

My Tales Of A Fourth Grade Nothing

I finished reading Tales Of A Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume. I choose to read it because I didn’t read the book in grade school. I believe it is okay for adults to read young adult books. These books “turn back the clock” to when they were a child. I turned back my clock to my fourth grade.

The story centered on fourth grader Peter Hatcher and his two year old younger brother Fudge. Fudge caused many problems for Peter and his family including breaking his teeth, playing with his food, harassing his father’s clients, and ruining Peter’s homework. Peter felt unappreciated, angry, and frustrated. There were times he felt unrecognized because his parents focused their time on Fudge.

My tales of a fourth grade was nothing. Peter was my favorite character because he showed maturity and wisdom of a fourth grader. I didn’t have his maturity and wisdom. On the positive side, I had a mature and smart younger brother we played toys and watched television. We had many common interests. On the negative side, I watched too much television. I didn’t read books. I didn’t have friends visit my house and I didn’t have friends to visit their house. There were no moments that made me grow up, tested my maturity, and gained wisdom. I worried too much. I feared asking people anything including water in a sit down restaurant and ordering a Big Mac. My home life was easy going, free for all, and avoiding conflicts.

I didn’t go to the park with friends and hung around the secret rock. I didn’t have any birthday parties with friends. I didn’t go to the movies (I’m 99% sure I didn’t go to a movie theater in fourth grade.) I didn’t have a pet. I didn’t have a group project with classmates. I knew nothing about drugs and dope. My grades were terrible. I didn’t play after school recreational sports.

I was a fourth grader who depended on family, classmates, and the teacher to think for me and tell me what to do. I never was angry at my parents such that I ran to my room and locked the door. I never made jokes. I had trouble concentrating. I was a quiet person in social situations.

I’m reading Superfudge, the sequel to Tales Of A Fourth Grade Nothing. I’m looking forward to see how Peter handles Fudge who is now four years old.

The Personal Side Of Me Finding Raymond Mar

No comments: