Sunday, February 25, 2007

Ten Years As An Anime Fan

Last year, 2006 marked my 10th year as an anime fan. I officially became in anime fan in Summer 1996 watching Sailor Moon. I worked the closing shifts at Blockbuster Video, my first retail job while attending San Jose State University. I arrive home around 1:30 A.M. to 2:00 A.M., eat a late dinner, and go to sleep. Sometimes I wake up early enough to watch Sailor Moon and sometimes I wake up at 2:55 P.M. listening to the ending theme to Sailor Moon USA release because my sister watched the show.

Before 2006, I watched classic anime Starblazers, Voltron, and Robotech in the 1980s. In December 1992, I watched three episodes of Ranma ½. In Summer 1994, I watched three episodes of Record Of Lodoss War.

My first anime purchase was a bootlegged CD of Sailor Moon music. My first anime series I purchased was the first season of Ranma ½ in VHS. My first anime convention was Fanime Con 1997 at Foothill College in Los Altos, California. My first cosplay was Edward Elric from Full Metal Alchemist at JapanTown Anime Faire 2 in 2004.

I thought about quitting anime in 2004 when I talked to a friend who graduated at U.C. Irvine. He told me he phased out of anime because he got a new job and new interests. My anime interest was going downhill at the time I, too, thought about quitting anime. What saved me from quitting anime? Full Metal Alchemist and cosplaying as Edward Elric. Since I first cosplayed, I realized anime is more than watching anime only. Anime expanded my interests, branched out my anime hobby such as cosplaying, reading manga, and hosting a panel. I started to meet new people in and out of cons, and most of the new people I met are anime fans at cons—something we have in common to talk and get to know each other.

Today, I see no end to quit anime. I have been innovating if I may say so ^^ my anime hobby. For instance, I started to really get into manga with Full Metal Alchemist, Tsubasa Chronicle, and Bleach. On February 2005, I brought my laptop to work to watch anime on my lunch hour. On October 2006, I stopped bringing my laptop and I bring manga to read on my lunch hour.

I always watch the TV episodes first for an anime series. If I like the TV episodes, I read the manga. I'm thinking about switching such that I read the manga first. If I like the manga series, I watch the TV episodes.

I like to thank timing and luck I remain an anime fan today and hopefully for a long time.

No comments: